IS PC-DMIS really true DMIS "compatible"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS PC-DMIS really true DMIS "compatible"?

A lot of people have told me that PC-DMIS is not very closely following the DMIS standard. I was converting some programs between LK-DMIS and PC-DMIS and got some very bad results in the process. LK swears that no other CMM software package comes closer to following the standard than they do (hahahahahaha, just got back in my chair from laughing so hard). But I keep having these problems converting.

So a few questions:
    1. Anybody out there that knows exactly where PC-DMIS may be deficient?
    2. Anybody tried to import DMIS programs into PC-DMIS? Any tips???

I seem to have the most problems with advanced tolerancing call-outs (feature control frame items). Using V4.0

Thanks, Jan.
    PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
    Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

PC DMIS is close (flavored is the term they use)
    I think LK is 100 % Virtal Dmis is also 100 %
    DR Watson shut me down again !!!! :mad: Smoke break:eek:

Comment

We have had PCDMIS for over 5 years now. A year ago, we bought 2 lk
      machines. We were able to convert PCDMIS files over to camio, but cannot
      convert camio to pcdmis. I personally never tried to convert an lk (camio)
      but I was told that it would not work. We found pcdmis to be faster and
      more efficient to program, so we purchased common drivers from lk and
      switched the lk machines to pcdmis. We like pcdmis MUCHHHHH better
      than the lk camio software.

Comment

The way I have heard it, Pcdmis can make a DMIS file, but since Pcdmis goes BEYOND Dmis, comverting DMIS files to Pcdmis can be a tricky thing at best. I have never had to even try it, so I have no idea myself, this is just something I read on the OLD board, many years ago.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Have got both systems (on different machines) and both have advantages and disadvantages. But back to the main question, DMIS in its true native form is limited to what it can do for you. e.g edge points in DMIS you have to create planes and lines and intersect etc, very messy. So CMM manufacturers started to play about with native DMIS to give them the edge and they all say there's is the best. I wouldn't try to convert (although the theory says it can be done - PCDMIS to DMIS, DMIS to CAMIO) but there are commands within each manufactures software that just dont copy straight across, so native DMIS just gives it its best guess as to what it thinks it is.
          Best bet - stick to one version - it will save you sleepless nights
          There are three types of people in this world - those that can count and those that can't

Comment

Yes, PC-DMIS does not follow the DMIS standard, but I still think it is a better ware than the others. As far as going from or to, I have had to go both ways (I took one for the team) and I was able to make them work, but, it does require some editing. Especially concerning move points and tip changes. These can almost definitely put you in a crash type situation.
            DCCFreak

Comment

OpenDMIS seems to be the most "true to DMIS" software that I've worked with. Even though it has it's own routines, it converts to DMIS code when written to the program.
              sigpic GO LEAFS GO!!!

Stay true to your friends, 'cause they'll save you in the end.
              -Sam Roberts

Comment

DMIS to .........

I think it needs to be clarified that software packages like PCDMIS, LKDMIS, VirtualDMIS, etc... can not be DMIS (Dimensional Measuring Interface Standard) compliant or exactly compatible. DMIS is not a standard in the context of ANSI/ASME B89, or ANSI Y14.5, etc... It is a type of software language, similar to APT (Automatically Programmed Tools). Saying PCDMIS is not DMIS compatible is like saying MasterCAM is not APT compatible, or Visual Basic is not DOS compatible. DMIS is just a programming languauge, similar to APT, in that it is simply a basic vocabulary to pass bidirectional communication of inspection data between computer systems and inspection equipment.

When PCDMIS or any other CMM software translates a program (and thats all it is, a translation) to the DMIS language it will never be exact because translations are never exact. You would do much better by using a translator specifically designed to translate PCDMIS to the software you are using, probably similar to what Carolyn McKean was talking about in her post.

Remember that when you try to translate programs from one language to another with DMIS being the middleman your using two different post processers, one to export PCDMIS to DMIS and another to import DMIS to whatever software, translating the program twice introduces even more dicrepancies.

Hope this helps and I didn't ramble to much,

Mike
                Job Function:
                Quality Engineer/Programmer
                Machine Type:
                Global
                Software Version:
                V2010 MR1
                CMM Experience:
                25+ yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by mchough1
                  I think it needs to be clarified that software packages like PCDMIS, LKDMIS, VirtualDMIS, etc... can not be DMIS (Dimensional Measuring Interface Standard) compliant or exactly compatible. DMIS is not a standard in the context of ANSI/ASME B89, or ANSI Y14.5, etc... It is a type of software language, similar to APT (Automatically Programmed Tools). Saying PCDMIS is not DMIS compatible is like saying MasterCAM is not APT compatible, or Visual Basic is not DOS compatible. DMIS is just a programming languauge, similar to APT, in that it is simply a basic vocabulary to pass bidirectional communication of inspection data between computer systems and inspection equipment.

When PCDMIS or any other CMM software translates a program (and thats all it is, a translation) to the DMIS language it will never be exact because translations are never exact. You would do much better by using a translator specifically designed to translate PCDMIS to the software you are using, probably similar to what Carolyn McKean was talking about in her post.

Remember that when you try to translate programs from one language to another with DMIS being the middleman your using two different post processers, one to export PCDMIS to DMIS and another to import DMIS to whatever software, translating the program twice introduces even more dicrepancies.

Hope this helps and I didn't ramble to much,

Mike
                  I just went to the quality expo and a seminar put on by AIAG (automotive industry action group) in Novi Mich
                  they do have a DMIS standard Group with a board of Directors etc..
                  One of the problems is too many CMM languages not compatable with others
                  They are currently trying to create a national standard
                  wilcox is among the group trying to comply along witk LK , & virtual
                  may be what 4.0 is all about - not sure

Comment

part 2

Originally posted by Jeffrey Lovely
                    I just went to the quality expo and a seminar put on by AIAG (automotive industry action group) in Novi Mich
                    they do have a DMIS standard Group with a board of Directors etc..
                    One of the problems is too many CMM languages not compatable with others
                    They are currently trying to create a national standard
                    wilcox is among the group trying to comply along witk LK , & virtual
                    may be what 4.0 is all about - not sure

I forgot to mention
                    China was not on board yet
                    so this is national - not global
                    unless it works out that way

Comment