PCDMIS Limited Access to Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCDMIS Limited Access to Forum

Seeing that people who might not even use this forum can register and post crap like what Chris Conely does....

...not to mention all the HACK SPAM...

...I am suggesting we require some kind of key to access this site to people who actually use PCDMIS.
    Yes
    9.59%
    No
    84.93%
    Unsure
    5.48%
    Last edited by Underspec; 07-21-2006, 06:00 PM.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

B&S could write some new code so only people with port lock numbers could get in. lol

Comment

Let's not be too hasty here. There may be some off-shift programmers that do not have access to their port lock numbers. If initiated they would no longer have access to the forum. I personnaly do not have administrative rights to my PC and that I know of do not have access to the port lock number. If someone would tell me where to find it I will check.
      Kevin

Comment

run custprog.exe in the c:/pcdmisw directory. It will tell you there.
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kmcmm
          Let's not be too hasty here. There may be some off-shift programmers that do not have access to their port lock numbers. If initiated they would no longer have access to the forum. I personnaly do not have administrative rights to my PC and that I know of do not have access to the port lock number. If someone would tell me where to find it I will check.
          Speaking as an off-shift programmer (in-training) I find this forum invaluable. And no I don't have access to port-lock numbers, registration codes, cd-keys or any other identifiers that may be used for pc-dmis, so if you restricted it, I'd have to hurt someone.

Thanks kmcmm!

Kev
          Kevin N. Thompson - Thompson Digital Image
          Quality Manager - Rj Link International

Comment

Originally posted by kthompson
            Speaking as an off-shift programmer (in-training) I find this forum invaluable. And no I don't have access to port-lock numbers, registration codes, cd-keys or any other identifiers that may be used for pc-dmis, so if you restricted it, I'd have to hurt someone.

Thanks kmcmm!

Kev
            No problem man, I am also off-shift and no I don't have access to the port lock numbers. I tried, but the IT department has me locked out.
            Kevin

Comment

Spammers, flammers, and trolls, oh my! Yes they are a pain in the . . . but they really are not all that much of a problem. Admin straightens them up or clears them out as needed. The wonderful technology that makes this exchange of ideas and information possible would be greatly hampered if we start imposing restrictions upon it. We don't need keys, just responsible members helping Admin police the forum, as we have seen with the last few bits of spam and the unhelpful comments by Chris today. If it were an epic problem, then maybe limit access, but it is no where near that order of magnitude now.
              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Port lock numbers are located on the serial port between the printer cable and the PC or in a USB slot for offline seats.
                Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                  Spammers, flammers, and trolls, oh my! Yes they are a pain in the . . . but they really are not all that much of a problem. Admin straightens them up or clears them out as needed. The wonderful technology that makes this exchange of ideas and information possible would be greatly hampered if we start imposing restrictions upon it. We don't need keys, just responsible members helping Admin police the forum, as we have seen with the last few bits of spam and the unhelpful comments by Chris today. If it were an epic problem, then maybe limit access, but it is no where near that order of magnitude now.
                  WWS

Besides, what if I leave this job and no longer use PC-DMIS. I think I still would have knowledge to share with my brethren here. Also, this is a great place to vent problems with others in our field.
                  When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Once again, I agree with Wes and John, please don't limit access in any way. Far too many people without access to a portlock # or whatever, find this forum invaluable not only for pcdmis, but GDT, computers in general, the quality field, etc., etc., etc.
                    I would be lost at times without all the advice I find here!

Comment

Think First

I have spent A LOT (don't tell my manager) of time just browsing this forum. I wish I had more to contribute, and I really feel like I know some of you guys. I have found (for the most part) a large congregation of intelligent (albeit sometimes crude, no problems here) self policing people. I think a key would take away from the fact that we freely enjoy the exchange of ideas and experience. Would we be locking out the world or locking in ourselves? I think most of you can EASILY handle the likes of some of the "off" characters we've had in here. I'm a little surprised some of you seem timid of the challenge considering your demonstrated abilities. I'm a freedom junkie that believes a man (or woman) is only as offended as he/she allows themselves to be. In the mean time you guys keep rockin'! You don't know it (or it may happen for you as well) but there's many times I've been encouraged, inspired and taught by you all. This place may be a good place a smart alec needs to go to get an intellectual whuppin'!!
                      sigpic
                      "The difference between a banjo and a chainsaw is that you can tune a chain saw."

Comment

restriction

Although I do believe that sometimes there are post/messages that are totally unappropriate, the vast majority are of good content. One user has stated that we are a group of self-policing people...If there are problems, notify ADMIN....copy the unappropriate threads..show a pattern...We have seen that people have already been banned....get them removed. Requiring a portlock number would only cause the free flow of help to be restricted...not good a good thing in my book.

Tim

Comment

I think that closing the Forum off to just users would be a mistake. And as far as inappropriate stuff, I've seen alot worse on the internet. The Forum is a great place to gather and give imfo and also blow off steam. Joking around is a "plus"
                          sigpic

Comment

If everything went smoothly there would be no reason for this group to band together and chase away the occasional moron, my vote is no to closing the forum. I have yet to see an issue that this group cant handle.
                            sigpic Eye Yam Sofa King We Todd It.

Comment

i vote an emphatic "NO" to any kind of limited access to this forum. i have been exiled by my own company from using this forum at work but i try to maintain a "connection" at least once a week from home on nights and weekends. some may think "get a life" but i really enjoy the kindred spirits i have found on this forum.
                              sigpic
                              Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment