Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirroring cmm program??

Using PCDMIS 4.2mr1.
    I have a rh and lh part sym opp. I would usually writhe the rh program and mirror it for the lh. However in this case the parts do not mirror in car body!! How if at all do I mirror a program but not in the same vehicle postition and still show the lh part in correct car postition??

Are you mirroring about the Y axis? If it's CAR Coordinates then you need to mirror in Y.

Bill

Comment

No I am not miroring in a part axis. The part is sym opp but not in its car position. It is not sym opp along any axis. Thats the question??

Comment

You can still mirror the program but change your alignment to get the part into the correct position.
        To some the glass is half full
        To some it is half empty
        To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Is it as simple as mirroring in a single axis then editing the alignment and when it asks to update to new alignment answer yes????

Comment

It sounds like yes is the appropriate answer. But always work with a "copy" of your program in case yes is not the correct answer. That way you can always go back to the original, make a new copy & start over with the appropriate changes.
            To some the glass is half full
            To some it is half empty
            To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Originally posted by bsacmm View Post
              No I am not miroring in a part axis. The part is sym opp but not in its car position. It is not sym opp along any axis. Thats the question??
              This shouldn't matter because if the RH side didn't have to be in CAR Body, then why would the LH side? Simply mirror about the Y and run your program without any changes.

Mirror in your Y axis and run your program. You shouldn't need to change anything. The one thing that you may run into is your probe angles being 180 out in the B angle if your CMM set up didn't match the CMM axis in the first program.

Bill

Comment

Bill
                That is the problem. The rh is in car position as required by customer. The lh will need to be in car body as well. It might just be a lot easier to write the program for both hands. That way both parts will be in car postion. This is something that I honestly have never come across before???

Comment

No, simply mirror about the Y axis and you'll be in Car on the other side and run the program. Thats all you should have to do.

Bill

Comment

Wait, are you saying that this is a mirrored part but it's location in the Car is physically different than the RH part?

Bill
                    Last edited by Bill **********; 11-16-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Maybe I have not made my dilema clear. The parts are sym opp. But in car postion they are not. Meaning that lets say circle one has x:3500,y:500,z:700 in the rh the lh part is not at any of these xyz locations. I have mirrored programs hundreds of times that is not the question. The question is how to mirror the program but not have the lh part be in the sym opp location as the rh. I am starting to think that this might not be possible. Is that more clear or am i still not explaining well enough. Thanks.

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I mean. Now i think we are on the same page!!

Comment

Ok, I got ya now. After you do your mirror, modify your alignment with the offsets necessary to set the holes you're aligning to, to the new coordinates and when it asks if you want to update, tell it YES. This should work for you.

When you say symetrically opposite I think that they're identicle except that the LH side is -Y and the RH side is +Y. Sorry for the confusion. If you do the mirror then add the offsets to get where you need to be, and tell it to update, it should work for you just fine. Like Slug said.. WORK ON A COPY OF YOUR PROGRAM!!!

Bill

Comment

Thanks. I will make a copy and give it a try. Hey I don't know if you are aware of this but I am sitting at your old desk in Grandville MI.

Comment

You're at Enterprise? Cool.. Hows things going there?

Bill

Comment