Star Probe Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Probe Alignment

I have never used a star probe before and I am having trouble. I am using a 5way and I’m only using connection #3, which I have loaded a1mmby10mm styli into, because I’m trying to use it as a 90 degree probe. I have defined the probe but when I connect the probe configuration to the module, the styli does not line up like I want it to. I have tried loosening and re-tightening the extensions and tips but they always tighten back up to the same position because of the threads. The styli ends up sticking out at about B210 but I want it to stick out at B180. I there some trick to doing this or do I need to buy a new probe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

Life's tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Originally posted by IZAKK View Post
    I have never used a star probe before and I am having trouble. I am using a 5way and I’m only using connection #3, which I have loaded a1mmby10mm styli into, because I’m trying to use it as a 90 degree probe. I have defined the probe but when I connect the probe configuration to the module, the styli does not line up like I want it to. I have tried loosening and re-tightening the extensions and tips but they always tighten back up to the same position because of the threads. The styli ends up sticking out at about B210 but I want it to stick out at B180. I there some trick to doing this or do I need to buy a new probe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Depends on the type of star set up you have. Some allow you to rotate the 4 90 deg tips, some are fixed.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Is this one that has a 'sleeve' for the out-pointing probes to go into or is it a solid unit? If it is a solid unit, you are screwed (see below). If it is a 'sleeved' unit, the "down-pointing" probe secures the arms into position, you simply loosen that probe, give a little twist to the arms, tighten the probe back up.

If you are screwed, instead of using a 0,0 angle on the head to get the probe pointing straight "back", use a 0,-135 or positive 135 or something.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

What others said...........its easier if you rotate your head to A90/B0...atleast for me.....if all else fails use a 5mm entension & tighten it to your PH9A or whatever you have.....the put the star or 5way on....fairly easy once you start playing with it....
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Use a star probe everyday and all day with great results, also like bw_bob says once you play with it you will learn to love it like a bowl of butterfinger ice cream.
          sigpic

Comment

The 5 way isn't fixed...it's looks like a flat disk (kind of hexagonish) that has a threaded hole in the center and 4 threaded holes 90 deg apart from each other on the outside edge. When you say to rotate it, do you mean add an angle to it? Like A0B30, which would put the styli in the orientation that i want? What does that do to the calibration? By that i mean if at A0B0 the styli is sticking out at B210 then i change the angle to A0B30 to move the styli to B180 does that casue me any issues when i start measuring a parts? The reason i ask is because i tried that and when i did the calibration it looked very odd to me because the machine thought that the styli was in a different location than it actually was so the cal pattern almost caused the styli to shank. Or did i misinterpret what you are saying all together?
            sigpic

Comment

The 5 way isn't fixed...it's looks like a flat disk (kind of hexagonish) that has a threaded hole in the center and 4 threaded holes 90 deg apart from each other on the outside edge. When you say to rotate it, do you mean add an angle to it? Like A0B30, which would put the styli in the orientation that i want? What does that do to the calibration? By that i mean if at A0B0 the styli is sticking out at B210 then i change the angle to A0B30 to move the styli to B180 does that casue me any issues when i start measuring a parts? The reason i ask is because i tried that and when i did the calibration it looked very odd to me because the machine thought that the styli was in a different location than it actually was so the cal pattern almost caused the styli to shank. Or did i misinterpret what you are saying all together?
              IF the "thing" the out-pointing probes screw into can be loosened and swiveled, do that to get the arms in the right direction. If you can't, the simply calibrate a 0,-150 (or 0,150) to get it pointing in the 0,180 direction. As long as you calibrate them correctly, all is good and it will work. It will be "wrong" if the shown build-up is pointing 180,90,0,-90, but if you can't get them to point that way, you will have to manually calibrate it the first time, it should 'fix' itself after that since it will then work to the manually calibrated positions.

IF that does not work, you will have to manually edit the vectors for each tip you are using to get them pointed in the right direction. Click on the tip in the list, click on EDIT, change the vectors.
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

When you calibrate a star probe with a tip points in 4 directions a 1 facing down and your probe head at A0B0 thats is five different positions (T1A0B0, T2A0B0 and etc.) and when you rotate the head to A0B30 thats 5 more(T1A0B30, T2A0B30, etc.)
                sigpic

Comment

If i only have one connection in the star pointing at 180 then i only have to calibrate that one position right?
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry, by that one position i mean the A0B0 postion for the one connected styli.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeap, only if you NOT going to rotate the head. But for each rotation then you will have to calibrate that tip.
                      sigpic

Comment

If i only have one connection in the star pointing at 180 then i only have to calibrate that one position right?
                        Yeeeees. BUT, I never use only ONE tip. Used to be a requirement that you use a minimum of 4 probe positions to calibrate since that is the minimum number of points needed to make a sphere (think of your probe as a point, each position is a point on a sphere that make up the sphere of the head, as it were). I always use at least 4 positions still (why trust Wilcox coders with MY job?).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                          Yeeeees. BUT, I never use only ONE tip. Used to be a requirement that you use a minimum of 4 probe positions to calibrate since that is the minimum number of points needed to make a sphere (think of your probe as a point, each position is a point on a sphere that make up the sphere of the head, as it were). I always use at least 4 positions still (why trust Wilcox coders with MY job?).
                          Interesting... i never thought about it like that. I'm a fairly new programmer and have never heard that explained before but it makes sence. Thanks for the info. I will try to use that when i qualify. Also, i got the styli where i wanted it. Turns out that all i had to do was turn the disk over and thread it from the other end. It didn't make sence to me to do that at first because when i threaded it from there earlier the disk was loose and just kind of spun around on what i guess is the connection extension. but after i connected it to the 20mm extention and then to the module it tightened up. Thanks again for all of the help.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks again for all of the help.
                            Sorry, I meant to thank everyone that helped me out. Thanks again everyone!
                            sigpic

Comment

Glad to help....
                              sigpic

Comment