X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrinkage Factor

Can you please help me on topic below,

I create a program and measured.

After heat treat part came back with .830 shrinkage Factor.

I use f5/and change scale to 1/.830=1.2048.
    I measured part again without any problem but all the data came exactly as before(Without shinkage factor)
    Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Yatish Patel
    281-363-6579
    [email protected]

Although I find it hard to resist the hi-jackability ("shrinkage factor"?) of this thread I'll refrain for now. This is new to me. Are you saying we can scale our prgs? I did not know that. I'm not sure I'll ever use such a feature but it sounds like the type of feature that would be prone to problems. Kind of neat though. How does it work? Where do I find it? You say F5, I'm going to look for it there but anything you can tell me to educate me on this new found feature would be cool.

Craig
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

As per pcdmis guru's
      "If you have a part program with 500 dimensions and part shrink after few treatments you can change scale in F5 general tab and use same program to measure shrink part. you do not have to rewrite whole program"

I tried and programs runs good but dimensions out put came without shrinkage factor effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chikoo
        As per pcdmis guru's
        "If you have a part program with 500 dimensions and part shrink after few treatments you can change scale in F5 general tab and use same program to measure shrink part. you do not have to rewrite whole program"

I tried and programs runs good but dimensions out put came without shrinkage factor effect.

When you do this does it insert a line into the program? If so can you place your cursor just before your dimensions to turn off the scaling?

Just a shot in the dark.

Comment

Hello Chikoo,
          If I understand you are saying that two holes that were 1.00" apart are now .83" apart. After you scale with F5 the program runs ok, but if you open up the feature that was at 1.00", do the theoretical and actual values now read 1.00" or .83"? If the F5 just appies a filter to everything but does not change your theoretical values the uses of the function seem very limited to me. I have never used this either, but maybe looking at the altered code can help you figure out what is going on. Let us know please.
          sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

No you can not see anything in the program unless you hit f5 key. once you change scale it affect whole program. you can not change partial program.

Comment

Wes,
              None of the original program values change but still program runs on shrink part that is why i am surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chikoo
                Wes,
                None of the original program values change but still program runs on shrink part that is why i am surprise.
                That tells me that this function does not change your program at all, but instead applies a conversion between the code and the cmm to account for the scale factor and then reverses that process for data comming back into the software from the cmm. Long story short, if you want to see the new values in your report you are going to have to edit the program. Maybe one of the B&S/Wilcox people will pop in here with lifesaver for you.
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Hello,
                  As per the shrinkage and the scale method. If the part is reduced in size and you have an option to apply a reduced scale to your prg, then you will not see the variation, since the program is compensating already. The software is calculating the variation and applying the original data. To see the difference, you would have to run the original prg,,,,w/out the shrinkage factor.

A.Gore
                  sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                    That tells me that this function does not change your program at all, but instead applies a conversion between the code and the cmm to account for the scale factor and then reverses that process for data comming back into the software from the cmm. Long story short, if you want to see the new values in your report you are going to have to edit the program. Maybe one of the B&S/Wilcox people will pop in here with lifesaver for you.
                    WWS, I too believe the scaling is affecting the CMM counts only 1.00 in the pgm would be scaled to .83 for CMM movement and then .83 scaled back to 1.00 for the report.

TK
                    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                      If this is true, then the feature is useless. You must be able to get the program to run and get actual measurement results otherwise why would they have included this option?

Just out of curiosity, run the program with it scaled. Print the report. Then turn off the scaling. Compare the report to the printed report and see if they are the same. Maybe turning the scaling back off will adjust the values in the reported dimensions.

Comment

Exactly tking!!!

I am still waiting for software support reply. I will let you guys know as soon as i hear somthing.
                        Thanks

Comment

Comment

If I recall correctly the only difference you will see is that the actuals are now closer to the nominals. It is not going to rewrite your program. If you measure a 30 inch long rod and add output, then put in a shrink factor and do it again you won't see a program differance "just the actuals". Other than if the shrink factor is big enough it will not find the part correctly.

Comment

As a long time foundryman, I am familiar with shrink as it pertains to molten metal cooling to room temperature. This feature looks to me like an electronic version of a pattern maker's shrink rule. Patterns used for making castings are usually built oversize by the coefficient of expansion to allow for contraction of the part as it cools and solidifies.
                              Next time I need to measure a pattern, I'll try this feature.
                              v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                              B&S Global 544, 555
                              Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
                              Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                              (Advice from my dad.)

Comment