Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probing six points for a slot

Good Day all,
    I had it but then I lost it! I have a part that has a slot that I need to measure. The slot is .124+-.001 x .141+-.002 and .180+-.003 deep I was using a 1 mm probe now i've switched to a .5 mm but still it is not measuring up! I am sure the slot is correct but I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards, Tom the BomB

Are you sure you're not shanking-out ?

It doesn't take nuthin' to shank out a .5mm probe.
    sigpic

Comment

Are you using Pre-Hits? And check your Depth for the hits, 1mm tip is very small. Also what are you checking? If its a Stamping are you checking on the pierced side of metal and if its plastic are you checking the correct side?
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Try 8 or 10 points.
        sigpic...engineering

Comment

How much is it off? Is your probe comp on? You do own a pair of calipers don't you? Compare results...
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

hmm? not measuring up, like in size and position? or is it not measuring the slot correctly?

Comment

Like they said, please tell us more.
              sigpic

Comment

I am only concerned with the size .124 x .141 and .180 deep i have seven other holes that are in the pattern that are all measuring up fine i have probe comp on also i did confirm that the slot is correct to specification within .0005 i am getting .131 x .131 what the heck! i will try more points like 8 or 10 now folks . . . arrrrg!
                Regards, Tom the Bomb

Comment

oh folks, beg your pardon . . the part is manufactured from alluminum 6061 T6
                  Have an excellent Day, Tom from the Factory

Comment

ok, how are u outputting the dimensions? whats in the report output look like?

Comment

So now.

Where are the points touching the slot features when you measure ?
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. The 6 hits are looking like a circle to PCDumbass. I think it's because the length VS width are so close to the same. My fix -- measure each end of the slot individually as a circle using sample hits, then construct the slot using the circles and I bet it measures like it does with the calipers.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                          PCDumbass.
                          Bill !!!

Yer language, Man

.............whadderya tryin' to say ?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                            I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. The 6 hits are looking like a circle to PCDumbass. I think it's because the length VS width are so close to the same. My fix -- measure each end of the slot individually as a circle using sample hits, then construct the slot using the circles and I bet it measures like it does with the calipers.

Bill
                            another thing to try is to change the "angle" that it wants to measure at each end. TOO many people want to use 180 degrees, well, that won't work if the slot is off location, your hits will be on the side flats instead of the radius and thus bad sizes. Try 135 degrees instead and turn on RE-MEASURE.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by AndersI
                            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Are you taking sampe hits? The depth of the hits might be right to nominal data, but maybe the material itself is out of position.
                              Kami

sigpic

Comment