REVERSE ENGINEERING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVERSE ENGINEERING

does any one know of a software that will take pc dmis output and create a cad model?

You can export as an .IGES file. Lots (all?) CAD packages can import the .IGES file.

Comment

Reverse Engineering

Hello,
      When scanning, be sure to check the single point option. Then when you export, export as an .iges. This gives nodes that most cad packages can interpret. The Engineer has to create the surfaces etc, but if you give him the edge points along with surface scans, everything else is a piece of cake.

A.Gore
      sigpicA.Gore

Comment

If you are looking for something automatic, then the answer is, "Thar ain't no such animal".

If you are looking for something that will take the report that you print to a file, same answer.

The only way you can do it is to export the measured data, using the correct alignment, in a format that can be read by any of the cad packages your company might have. IGES would be my first choice. Pcdmis does a good job of exporting IGES, it seems to use all the correct IGES definitions (unlike UG which appears to do a LOT of cheating on the code). Then, it will be up to someone to take the data you give them and create the geometry from there. Depending on what you are doing, this can take anywhere from 15 minutes for a simple detail to weeks for a complex sheet metal part, not to mention the time it will take you to measure enough points to be meaningful.

I have a 3-D laser digitizing camera and the point cloud (millions and millions and millions of points) from the pictures is in Geomagic (this software drives the camera, as well as the software that the camera mfg. supplies) and Geomagic can turn it all into surface data. Even this is not automatic for the most part. I have quite a few things that need to be done before it spits out the surface data. I think it is quite easy to do, but it does take quite a few 'steps' to get there. Now, I do not know what I could do with Geomagic and a 'point cloud' from Pcdmis, I have never tried and I doubt that I ever will.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

if your part has lots of 3D surfaces then it is extremely hard to accurately recreate the part by liner scans (unless you have a boatload of time to create tons of scans with millions of points). it really depends on the accuracy you are looking for and how good at surfacing you or your CAD dept are. if you are scanning a die section and your die makers can rough and spot the section in and you have a large profile tolerenace, then you can get away with crossection scans.

if your part doesn't have alot of 3D surfaces or you are trying to recreate a trim line then it should be easy with liner scans.

if your part has alot of crazy 3D surfaces then the best and most accurate way is to use a Metris laser scanner or a white light 3D camera which will accurately take millions of points in a short amount of time. from those millions of points you can create a pointcloud and from there most CAD programs can easily create surface from the pointcloud (if you purchased that option in your CAD prog). but for those options you are talking minimum $70,000.

GLHF

Comment

Actually, you can leave the scans as scans and there is an option you export the scans as points instead of the polyline.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I've been doing a fair amount of this the past few months. Using a touch probe, and multiply scans, I export the point data as an igs file. Send it off to an engineer, and like majic, I get a model back. It is that easy.
              sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

As far as automatically creating a model, I would have to stand with everyone else and say no. However, if you have a working knowledge of Rhino or Mastercam, the iges output is fairly easy to turn into a working model with the necessary definition information of course. Mastercam is a bit easier to perform this step with, but it is quite a bit more expensive than Rhino. Thus, I have been using Rhino for the past year, and actually once you get used to it I think it may be superior overall to Mastercam. Just my two cents.

Just a side note, there is one way to make it somewhat automated, but, to my knowledge you would need Solidworks. I do work for an engineer sometimes, who requests all x,y,z point data from me in a .txt file. He has a script which actually extracts the data from the report and inputs all of the coordinates into Solidworks and generates a model. It's pretty quick and so far seems to do a pretty darn good job. Of course, he won't share the script with me. I would like to experiment with it in Rhino because I have been reading that it can be done from that environment as well. If I find out what the script is, I will post it on this board.
                DCCFreak

Comment

Rhino help

dccfreak,

Could you maybe create a step by step on how to surface iges'd out points in RHINO? I have it but other then using it as a viewer can't do anything with it, any direction would be greatly appreciated.
                  James Temmen

There is no job so simple that it can't be done wrong.

Comment