How to measure ellipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to measure ellipse

I have attached a copy of a print that I'm not sure how to check. The tolerance is +/-.010 . We will be working with a cad model so we can get the right locations and angles.
    My understanding of an ellipse is that it is all arcs. So how would you find the center point? Would you scan it then create some kind of center point?
    Last edited by William Johnson; 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Where is the copy of the print?

If you are using V3.7 it should have an auto ellipse feature you can use. Unless your part is an elliptical sphere then its a different story.
    Kevin

Comment

I got the Print in the original post. I have 3.7mr3 but have never looked for auto ellipse. thanks.

Comment

I looked at your print, the auto ellipse should work for you. Let me know if it works.
        Kevin

Comment

I don't use alot of out of the normal auto features, so I'm not sure what kinds of start stop angles to use, becuase of all the different angles involved. Will I need to rotate my alignment to each ellipse as I measure them. What diameter would I use ect.

Comment

Should be able to use the normal 0 to 360, and as long as you use the CAD model to pick up the ellipse it should adjust the hit vectors for you. So you should not have to level to each ellipse. Open the ellipse edit window, then try picking up the feature using the mouse arrow by clicking on the ellipse you want to check.
            Last edited by kmcmm; 07-13-2006, 06:17 PM.
            Kevin

Comment

William, did you get the auto ellipse to work?
              Kevin

Comment

I don't have the part or cad data yet. It might be 2-3 weeks before I see it. Around here when we get new prints I get to lay it out for the shop, create all the inspection paperwork ect. That was what I was doing when I asked about the ellipse measurement. I will definetly use the auto ellipse when I get the cad model. Again thanks alot for your help. I will keep you posted.

Comment