GD&T Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD&T Question

Anybody know what this means? I haven't seen the circled S before.
    Last edited by #2#; 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM.

(RFS) Regardles of feature size.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

RFS is the default state for trueposition, so the symbol does not have to be there and usually is not. When it is used it is often in the midst of several MMC callouts to call attention to the fact that it is RFS. HTH.
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

agree

Thr circled S is always RFS. We work with drawings from the 50's to the present at a military facility. Prior to 1994 the default (no modifier) was MMC in the U.S.A. I'm not sure what the default was prior to 1974. AAAnyway...we have to keep old GD&T standards close by because our vendors are held to the standard as of the drawing date unless they are otherwise directed.
          "listening for the last trump... looking toward the eastern sky"

Comment

The circle S does need to be there IF its not the 94 standard. In 94 the default became "RFS" so no symbol was need to define it. Prior to that ( 82 standard ) the circle S needed to be there.
            Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

You have to go by the intent of the print by the year it was drawn.y14.5 1966 mmc is implied,rfs must be specified.y14.5 1973 mmc implied or specified .y14.5 1982 mmc,rfs,or lmc must be specified.y14.5 1994 rfs is implied,mmc or lmc must be specified.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM HARRIS
                You have to go by the intent of the print by the year it was drawn.y14.5 1966 mmc is implied,rfs must be specified.y14.5 1973 mmc implied or specified .y14.5 1982 mmc,rfs,or lmc must be specified.y14.5 1994 rfs is implied,mmc or lmc must be specified.
                Haaahahahaha! with our prints the only standard is that their is no standard. It is basically up to the person who draws it. Apparently this was drawn by someone used to 1982. I don't think any of our engineers actually have any formal GD&T training. They love to use the worst possible features as datums - features with draft, threads, the smallest possible feature as primary, etc. etc. That and they reference datums in feature control frames which don't need them - roundness, flatness, straightness etc.

Comment

Ok, any suggestions as to what feature that feature control frame applies? It looks to me like the diameter at the end of the conical portion. Any ideas on how to measure? I don't think I can get much of a plane for Datum B.

Comment

My sincere thanks to the historians amoung us and my equally sincere apology for posting incomplete information. I was not aware that RFS being implied was such a recent inovation, but the current standard is the only one I have studied. I can go home now, I learned something of great vaule today.

Comment

Wes, appendix D (i think) covers this in 14.5 (1994).
                      kev
                      RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                      sigpic

Comment

Rule #2

Comment

I was ref. to the change from the earlier standard of 1982...
                          RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                          sigpic

Comment

Yep, just pulled my nose out of the book. Read the appendix and the new rule #2 and no where does it tell you that rules before one just replaced (1982) were the reverse of what is now the rule! Am I the only one who thinks that tidbit ought to be there? Yes Kev, I will be posting that on 14.5 user group and see what the big dogs say. But again, sincerely thank you guys for setting me right, unlike many in mfg. I am happy to be proven wrong because whenever it happens I learn how to do my job better.

Comment

This is a sheet on gd&t if any body wants it.
                              Attached Files

Comment