splitting pc-dmis under different sections for different versions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitting pc-dmis under different sections for different versions?

would it be worth 'splitting up' the different versions of pc-dmis into different groups/hesdings so that people would give an answer on specific versions instead of 'guessing' it was in this/that version?

eg: i'm using v4.2 mr1 & someone requires an answer to a question using v3.7, now is it worth me 'hoping/guessing' that its not to much different from my version or completely ignoring it?

just an idea for 'our leaders', if its been asked before ......why hasn't it been done ?
    sigpicRichie the Villian!!

V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

If you're asking a question, you either:

A.) Do not know how to fix a problem and therefore do not know if it is version specific.

B.) Want to know how to do something in a specific version, and therefore list the version.

There is enough commonality between versions that splitting it up would just increase repeated responses tenfold. The easiest way to get an answer relating to your version is just to make sure that your version is in your profile information.

Comment

i think the answer is to always mention what version is being talked about as alot of users use several versions at the same company.
      this would surely save on time being wasted.

Comment

That's why we have the "Additional Information", see how well people fill that out?
        I've seen people post PC-DMIS questions in off-topic because they are too lazy to look for the correct forum.
        When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
          That's why we have the "Additional Information", see how well people fill that out?
          I've seen people post PC-DMIS questions in off-topic because they are too lazy to look for the correct forum.
          perhaps i'm not explaining this clearly. so i'll try again.

but as i've said, alot of people list more than 1 version.(in their ADDITIONAL INFO)
          so how do you know which version there on about? unless they mention in there message.
          or under 'ADDITIONAL INFO' does it mean that they have used ' v3.2,v3.7,4.2 etc

Comment

Its up to the user to specify which version they are using when they ask the question. If they dont, then they risk getting the wrong answer. Garbage in, garbage out.

Its not helpful to split up forums to try and compensate for stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chally72 View Post
              Its up to the user to specify which version they are using when they ask the question. If they dont, then they risk getting the wrong answer. Garbage in, garbage out.

Its not helpful to split up PROGRAMS to try and compensate for stupidity.
              I have to do this all the time for our operators.
              "It doesn't make since", "I don't understand how to read the report", :scream: "I don't understand how to just push the button"
              B. Jacobs
              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment