weird noise coming from controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird noise coming from controller

I have a Mistral 775 B&S machine...this is the first time I've ever had any noise issues with the controller. The machine was just calibrated last week by B&S technician, and there was no noise present when he was here. He left the controller on (which I normally do as well). Now, 4 or 5 days after he leaves the thing is sitting there moaning. It almost sounds like a noisy fan, like vibration noise. The pitch of the noise varies a bit, but is very steady.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Oh, it just changed! went higher for about 5 seconds, and then back to where it was before.

weird.
    ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

I'm running a Mistral too. Sometimes my machine produces a high pitched whine, it almost sounds like an air leak. I have traced it to the Y axis motor. I open the controller door and let some cool air get to the boards and it seems to help. A new controller is not in my budget at the moment.

I have not found any accuracy problems though.
    Perry
    B&S Mistral
    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

i know it not much help but i've never had noise coming from mine.
      out of interest is it a 'DEA TU01' controller ? as i had to change one once & it cost £350 (i knocked it off the table)
      sigpicRichie the Villian!!

V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

Comment

Originally posted by RCW52 View Post
        i know it not much help but i've never had noise coming from mine.
        out of interest is it a 'DEA TU01' controller ? as i had to change one once & it cost £350 (i knocked it off the table)
        He's talking about the CMM controller. Not the Jogbox / joystick controller.

I have a Mistral 775 also, and have never noticed noise coming from the controller. I will pay extra attention today.
        When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
        sigpic

Comment

oh dear...sorry for that.
          sigpicRichie the Villian!!

V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

Comment

Sounds like it sucked up something or has build-up on the fan. Turn it off open it up and clean it up a bit.

Comment

Does the fan have a filter you can clean/replace?
              v2013 MR1, v2015.1
              B&S Global 544, 555
              Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
              Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
              (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
                Sounds like it sucked up something or has build-up on the fan. Turn it off open it up and clean it up a bit.
                how do you open it?

It has some sort of weird triangle shaped key socket. I looked thru all of our CMM boxes for a key, but cannot find one.
                Last edited by d.evans; 08-19-2009, 10:34 AM.
                ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

Originally posted by d.evans View Post
                  how do you open it?

It has some sort of weird triangle shaped key socket. I looked thru all of our CMM boxes for a key, but cannot find one.
                  Look on top of the controller. They tend to put it there between the table and the controller. Now don't go pulling cables and stuff and blame us.
                  When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                    Look on top of the controller. They tend to put it there between the table and the controller. Now don't go pulling cables and stuff and blame us.
                    If you can't find it needle nose pliers work pretty good. That's what I used until I found the key between the table and the controller.
                    Perry
                    B&S Mistral
                    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment