Issues Importing a STEP file...Then IGES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues Importing a STEP file...Then IGES

Ok...So I was importing a 35K STEP file. After what seemed like hours of waiting and PC-Dmis acting like it was in "Not Responding" Mode, my model finally came in. The first problem I saw was, the top plane where Datum -A- should be, didn't come in. There are holes that pass through that plane and it's like you can see right through them. And when I try and get my Z value of that plane (Checking Offline) the value isn't right. I had a guy import it in using Inventor and it looked fine. So what happened to that plane???

Then, he decided to give me the same model but in IGES format
    (almost 53K) this time. I imported it just fine. But, it didn't have wireframe. So I asked him to save it as wireframe to see what happened. I imported it in, and all I got was wireframe. I decided to try and merge the original "solid" IGES model, with the "wireframe" IGES model. Worked well. Now I have both. But....when I went to transform my origin is where I had my next problem. I tried to rotate the model 90° about the X AXIS. Instead, PC-Dmis thought it would be better to rotate about the Z AXIS. Tried several times, to no avail.

Any idea on why the model is missing that plane and/or why the transform isn't working right for me??
    ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

You say the STEP file took a long time to import but the larger IGES imported just fine? Maybe you should try the STEP file again after a full reboot. Perhaps you hit a glitch when importing the first time. Sorry, that's all I got.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

My first guess would be a corrupt STEP file. You could always try to have them re-export the STEP and see if that clears anything up. As far as the transform I havn't played with that one enough to help you there...
      Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Yes the Step File take little longer but not much then IGES , in IGES Setup box , check the Show Trim and check Use "B" Curves and then check the Show Base Surface , process in 3D may be that work good luck
        sigpic
        Always Looking at the Big Picture :D:D:D
        3.7 MR1 CAD++
        4.3 Mr1 CAD++
        B&S (Global 07-10-07) -PH10T/TP20
        B&S (Microxcelpfx) -PH10MQ/TP20

Comment

I do the same thing with wireframe/solid...merge the 2 and then I have more options.
          Try rebooting and then the transform/rotate again.
          I have found that PCD will sometimes get a little "hairbrained" after several CAD operations.
          Lately, it occurs to me
          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Why do you need to rotate the model?
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
              You say the STEP file took a long time to import but the larger IGES imported just fine? Maybe you should try the STEP file again after a full reboot. Perhaps you hit a glitch when importing the first time. Sorry, that's all I got.

Just tried and it didn't fix it.

Originally posted by EHines View Post
              My first guess would be a corrupt STEP file. You could always try to have them re-export the STEP and see if that clears anything up. As far as the transform I havn't played with that one enough to help you there...
              This particular STEP file came directly from our customer. And as I stated in the OP, we brought it in using Inventor and it looked fine.

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
              I do the same thing with wireframe/solid...merge the 2 and then I have more options.
              I have found that PCD will sometimes get a little "hairbrained" after several CAD operations.

I saw on some other threads that you do this as well John. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              Why do you need to rotate the model?

I like to have the model oriented just as the datums call out and as it will be on the CMM when ran. I have always done it that way. Just makes it easier, IMO.

Comment

Can you see here how the plane is missing and you can see through these holes?

http://www.pcdmisforum.com/attachmen...1&d=1249490925
                Last edited by jkb_mcg; 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                  Can you see here how the plane is missing and you can see through these holes?

http://www.pcdmisforum.com/attachmen...1&d=1249490925
                  What software is the source of that STEP file?

Here's an interesting bit of STEP "trivia" for you. I have a customer that sends me step files so I can check his stuff. I see this happen quite a bit on "large" surfaces that have been trimmed. Not on ALL of them, mind you, but on SOME of them. If you turn OFF the "SOLID" the surface is THERE and can be selected and used, but when you turn it solid, it vanishes. It is still there, but only as a very small piece of what it SHOULD be. You can NOT select on the "missing" section when it is a solid, but when you change back to the wire-frame view (NOT to the wire frame, just the not-solid view), you can select on it all day long.
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

jkb_mcg ,check view box for the level section may be you more level to add up , for plane
                    sigpic
                    Always Looking at the Big Picture :D:D:D
                    3.7 MR1 CAD++
                    4.3 Mr1 CAD++
                    B&S (Global 07-10-07) -PH10T/TP20
                    B&S (Microxcelpfx) -PH10MQ/TP20

Comment

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post

Ok...I was able to bring the IGES back up and complete my transformation. Thanks John.

Comment

What software is the source of that STEP file?

Here's an interesting bit of STEP "trivia" for you. I have a customer that sends me step files so I can check his stuff. I see this happen quite a bit on "large" surfaces that have been trimmed. Not on ALL of them, mind you, but on SOME of them. If you turn OFF the "SOLID" the surface is THERE and can be selected and used, but when you turn it solid, it vanishes. It is still there, but only as a very small piece of what it SHOULD be. You can NOT select on the "missing" section when it is a solid, but when you change back to the wire-frame view (NOT to the wire frame, just the not-solid view), you can select on it all day long.

I'm pretty sure "they" are using Unigraphics.

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                          I'm pretty sure "they" are using Unigraphics.
                          BINGO! Same as my customer. Is that missing surface trimmed? I think so if it goes around those holes.
                          sigpic

Comment

BINGO! Same as my customer. Is that missing surface trimmed? I think so if it goes around those holes.

I didn't save it last time, I quit the program cause I got the IGES one to work. So bare with me while I import it again... http://www.fordedgeforum.com/style_e...efault/doh.gif

Comment

Make sure your tesselation is set to 1 or something close. A really low tesselation could be causing this.
                              --Brian

"The best way to predict the future is invent it. This includes your very next action."

Support: Hexagon Metrology Support Center
                              Training: Hexagon Metrology University

Comment