Donaldson Ultrapac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaldson Ultrapac

Apologies if this may be a little off topic, but I hope there might be some knowledge here.

We're using a Donaldson Ultrapac 2000 dessicated air dryer on our DEA Global Performance. We have an air solenoid issue that engineer is working on, but initially he thought it was just full/blocked dryer cartridges. I have just inherited our CMM, and trying to cram as much knowledge as possible into a very short timeframe, so thought I'd investigate TPM and requirements for replacing said filters. Turns out the only supplier I can find so far is Donaldson agent in Leicester and they want over £400 for a replacement pack of cartridges. I understand the need for them, but does anyone have any information about them or know where I can look? The interweb is not drowning me in useful data. Does anyone know : -

Are they refillable with dessicant?
    Are there alternative/compatible filters available and from whom?

Again, I know it's not a PC-DMIS question, but there is whole heap of general CMM knowledge here too I reckon. Hope I'm not breaking any rules.
    Cheers
    John

PS. It might seem I'm just tight, but company is not cash rich right now, things are tight so I'm exploring any potential avenue to spend as little cash as possible
    Last edited by picklefactory; 06-25-2009, 04:36 AM. Reason: PS Added

Howdy John,

Seems you are in a bit of a pickle eh? LOL I couldn't resist.

I don't know how things are on your side of the pond, but over here I use refrigerated air dryers. I have three B&S CMMs. In the last 4 years I have had to purchase air dryer's for my Global Advantage 12-30-10 & my Xcel 9-15-9. The entire new unit ran $100-200 usd. So at $652.4 (per google) for just a set of filters, I would be looking at something other than Donalson.

I have never used a dessicant air dryer, so maybe there is something about it's performance that makes it worth the $. I can say that I made certain the air dryer's I purchased exceeded the CMM factory requirements and I have had no problem with them.

HTH

Cheerio!
    Last edited by Wes Cisco; 06-25-2009, 08:06 AM. Reason: &^%#$**&^$# typos
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Dessicant air driers?

Well, I have dessicant units in my Gun Safe. When they "wear out", you simply place them in the oven at 250 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. Sure, these things you have must be bigger, but I would think they would work along the same lines (no pun intended). Make friends with a local pizza place, ask if you can set your filters on top of their ovens over night, that should dry the moisture out of them and make the fit to use again.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by picklefactory View Post
        Apologies if this may be a little off topic, but I hope there might be some knowledge here.

We're using a Donaldson Ultrapac 2000 dessicated air dryer on our DEA Global Performance. We have an air solenoid issue that engineer is working on, but initially he thought it was just full/blocked dryer cartridges. I have just inherited our CMM, and trying to cram as much knowledge as possible into a very short timeframe, so thought I'd investigate TPM and requirements for replacing said filters. Turns out the only supplier I can find so far is Donaldson agent in Leicester and they want over £400 for a replacement pack of cartridges. I understand the need for them, but does anyone have any information about them or know where I can look? The interweb is not drowning me in useful data. Does anyone know : -

Are they refillable with dessicant?
        Are there alternative/compatible filters available and from whom?

Again, I know it's not a PC-DMIS question, but there is whole heap of general CMM knowledge here too I reckon. Hope I'm not breaking any rules.
        Cheers
        John

PS. It might seem I'm just tight, but company is not cash rich right now, things are tight so I'm exploring any potential avenue to spend as little cash as possible

Contact Airchannel.co.uk

They do have agents all over the UK & seem to know what their doing on the air side of the Cmm.
        Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
        Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          Dessicant air driers?

Well, I have dessicant units in my Gun Safe. When they "wear out", you simply place them in the oven at 250 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. Sure, these things you have must be bigger, but I would think they would work along the same lines (no pun intended). Make friends with a local pizza place, ask if you can set your filters on top of their ovens over night, that should dry the moisture out of them and make the fit to use again.
          Not to mention that the air coming out of your CMM will then smell of pepperoni - a plan without any drawbacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
            Not to mention that the air coming out of your CMM will then smell of pepperoni - a plan without any drawbacks!
            Ya know, I never even thought of that benefit!

YUM!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks for all for the responses. I'll check out the options, though as we want to minimise cash outlay, there isn't much chance of replacing the whole sytem at this time.

The oven thing is interesting, we have an oven here for development use, I'll look into that a bit more.

No, not look into the oven, before you all start with the cracks....... and no, it's not a pizza oven!!!

Yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                I don't know how things are on your side of the pond, but over here I use refrigerated air dryers. I have three B&S CMMs. In the last 4 years I have had to purchase air dryer's for my Global Advantage 12-30-10 & my Xcel 9-15-9.
                +1

I will admit though, the quality of the air supply in this plant is superior to anything I've seen before. Still that's all I've ever used are refridgerated dryers.
                sigpic

Comment

I've been using a dessicate air dryer on my Xcel 7.6.5 for several years and about once a month we remove the dessicate and put in a little oven @ 350° for an hour let it cool in the oven and it is good to go for another month. This dryer only goes to the CMM and works very good. It is made by CoilHose and we bought it from MSC for less than $100 USD.
                  DeWain Hodge

Comment

Thanks again all.

Have been asking around here and our maintenance guys do something similar with a desiccant filter for an oil system on one of our rotary transfer machines. Only difference being they can remove the desiccant media from the unit and pour it on a tray to oven dry.

I'm not sure at this point if I can strip the cartridges to access the media inside on this unit. I shall explore though, when I have time. I'm not sure whether the same effect is possible when the media is still inside the cartridge, don't know if the evaporated vapour will escape.

Comment

We use an osmotic membrane filter system on all of our machines. They were rather pricey but they do a very good job.
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment