Qustion about a TP-20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Qustion about a TP-20

    Has anyone ever heard of a module of a TP-20 on the end of a PH10MQ ever not triggering because of the magnatism of a steel mold.
    When I get the tip in the middle of the part, down in a cavity surrounded by steel, it does not trigger. I raise it up and it triggers. Is this mabey a bad spot on my machine?

    Thanks: confused:

  • #2
    Originally posted by scman View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a module of a TP-20 on the end of a PH10MQ ever not triggering because of the magnatism of a steel mold.
    When I get the tip in the middle of the part, down in a cavity surrounded by steel, it does not trigger. I raise it up and it triggers. Is this mabey a bad spot on my machine?

    Thanks: confused:
    Yes, Magnetic fields inhibit the tp-20 and prevent hits from registering. This is why there are magnets in the door of the MCR-20, so modules can be changed without hits registering.

    Either use longer styli, get a different probe, (I can't say enough good about the sp25), or demagnetize the part. As a last resort, they do make a tp20 non-inhibit, but it has very mixed reviews.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

    Comment


    • #3
      what wes said......i have 2 micro-vals & constantly tell the operators DO NOT use magnets....eventually I think it will sink in
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

      Comment


      • #4
        magnitism causes a problem, that seems outlandish? did you try searching the site first?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
          Yes, Magnetic fields inhibit the tp-20 and prevent hits from registering. This is why there are magnets in the door of the MCR-20, so modules can be changed without hits registering.
          Either use longer styli, get a different probe, (I can't say enough good about the sp25), or demagnetize the part. As a last resort, they do make a tp20 non-inhibit, but it has very mixed reviews.
          That's strange.
          Sheffield SMP400 controller disabled PH10 head prior to the change.(??)

          Comment


          • #6
            Use TP2...no problemo!!
            sigpicIt's corona time!
            737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
              magnitism causes a problem, that seems outlandish? did you try searching the site first?

              yes....but what the search said to do with the magnet is not repeatable....physically or mathematically
              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lambo View Post
                That's strange.
                Sheffield SMP400 controller disabled PH10 head prior to the change.(??)
                How do you change tips without articulating the wrist?

                Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                Use TP2...no problemo!!

                Or a manual height gage and dial indicator, no problems with magnets there either.
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                  How do you change tips without articulating the wrist?

                  I'm wondering if your controller behaves differently than Sheffield controller.

                  With SMP400 controller, the probe moves to a safe position then disable PH10, drop off a probe, pick up a difference probe, move back to safe position and enable PH10…no articulating.

                  Never mind, I have FCR25.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Or a manual height gage and dial indicator, no problems with magnets there either.
                    [/QUOTE]

                    Well, he didn't say he has to switch probes in the middle of the prg. nor he's got probe changer.
                    sigpicIt's corona time!
                    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have that happen quite often especially with parts from the wire room. We also use magnets (plates and magnets from R&R Sales) to hold most of our parts. You can also demag the TP20 module without hurting it. Best advice is to have the operators demag everything they put on the CMM. Every little thing you can do to reduce the magnetic filed will help you.

                      Another option is an RBE to a Non-Inhibit body, that will also help a lot.
                      Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                      Contura Calypso 5.4

                      Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      • Jonathan S
                        TP-20 modules
                        by Jonathan S
                        Are there any good deals on TP-20 modules out there or is the price pretty much the same everywhere?
                        03-03-2006, 05:43 PM
                      • jaymunday
                        TP20 modules
                        by jaymunday
                        Do the module and the TP20 come together. I just got a quote. I told them I need a module and they told me its going to cost like 900 bucks. Im wondering...
                        07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
                      • 12345
                        Tp-20
                        by 12345
                        BS One - PH10T - TP20
                        I had heard there are modules that are effected by outside magnetic fields.
                        I had heard there are modules that are...
                        07-28-2008, 08:30 AM
                      • Sl33stak
                        TP20 Lifespan?
                        by Sl33stak
                        I have a couple (1Std.force,1Med.force) TP20's that are getting worn out, they sometimes won't trigger (scary eh?) and I was wondering what the life expectancy...
                        05-17-2006, 10:29 AM
                      • why me
                        TP20 Failure
                        by why me
                        Has any one ever had a TP20 just fail? I took a out a brand new TP20 SF probe module and put a new 1mm probe I Calibrated it worked Fine ran 4 parts all...
                        04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
                      Working...
                      X