Tapered roller measurment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapered roller measurment

I'm looking for some help in measuring a tapered roller from a tapered roller bearing. i need to measure the angle of the cone to within .001 degrees on the angle. but it seems there is to much rounding and math error to make a angle from dia. at gauge lines how can i make a program to take multiple hits along a cone "in a line format" to find a angle. thanks Joe

Messinger bearing corp. 215-824-4000 ext. 4405
    [email protected]

calculate the theoretical I,J,Ks to make the probe hit squarely on the correct angle....I would use an Auto-Line...However, you can use a contructed line as well

Comment

Originally posted by Messingerbearingcorp. View Post
      I'm looking for some help in measuring a tapered roller from a tapered roller bearing. i need to measure the angle of the cone to within .001 degrees on the angle. but it seems there is to much rounding and math error to make a angle from dia. at gauge lines how can i make a program to take multiple hits along a cone "in a line format" to find a angle. thanks Joe

[email protected]
      measure it as a cone, not lines, then construct your gage diameters on that cone.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
        measure it as a cone, not lines, then construct your gage diameters on that cone.
        +1

After you measure the cone, create a a constructed plane perpendicular to the cone at a point on the end of the bearing. Then create an offset plane and a circle at the intersection of the plane and the cone. That'll give you the actual diameters.
        sigpic What's our Vector, Victor?

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
          There are a lot of threads on just that subject too. Like this one
          When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
          sigpic

Comment

[email protected]
            How big is this part? The reason I ask is...

Say it is .4 inches long and the nominal angle is ??? 10º included on the cone. That works out to a diameter change of .06999093 over the length. Why did I do this? With your tolerance (use 10.001º instead of 10º) works out to a diameter change of .069997965! A 6th decimal place measurement difference.

Unless your part is substantially larger, you won't be able to detect .001º. The maximum number of decimal places pc-dmis will report is 5. In all likelihood, your machine isn't accurate past 4 decimal places.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
              How big is this part? The reason I ask is...

Say it is .4 inches long and the nominal angle is ??? 10º included on the cone. That works out to a diameter change of .06999093 over the length. Why did I do this? With your tolerance (use 10.001º instead of 10º) works out to a diameter change of .069997965! A 6th decimal place measurement difference.

Unless your part is substantially larger, you won't be able to detect .001º. The maximum number of decimal places pc-dmis will report is 5. In all likelihood, your machine isn't accurate past 4 decimal places.
              Thank you. It took long enough for someone to mention the tolerance. I just was waiting to see how long if at all.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

the angle is 2.000 degrees cone angle 1 per side the length is 3 inches. i can get it to repeat exactly to .0001 measuring the same part over and over but then for some reason it deviates from the angle some .008 degrees. why will it repeat 4 times exactly then it changes not part movement at all for sure it is glued. i will post the data sheets for all to look at. shortly.

Joe

Comment

the angle is 2.000 degrees cone angle 1 per side the length is 3 inches. i can get it to repeat exactly to .0001 measuring the same part over and over but then for some reason it deviates from the angle some .008 degrees. why will it repeat 4 times exactly then it changes not part movement at all for sure it is glued. i will post the data sheets for all to look at. shortly.

Joe
                  Lets see...

tan 1 = R/3
                  R = .052365194
                  D = 2*R = .104730389

Now add your tolerance... I assume it is ±.001º and not a total tolerance of .001, so that is ±.0005º per side...

tan 1.0005 = R/3
                  R = .052391382
                  D = 2*R = .104782765

So between nominal and the upper tolerance limit, you have a diameter change of...

ΔD = .104782765 - .104730389 = .000048875

I still don't think you can measure this with a CMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                    I still don't think you can measure this with a CMM.
                    Don't sugarcoat it, GL. You KNOW this can't be measured on a CMM
                    sigpic What's our Vector, Victor?

Comment