extend a cylinder line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extend a cylinder line

I have been searching to find threads on how to extend line/vector created by a cylinder. Is there another way ask the question in the search engine? I'm trying to extend into a circle(created from a bore) below the cylinder to find a better way to check alignment.
    sigpicGlobal Image
    MR 2012
    PH10MQ
    SP25-3

?? theoretically speaking, the line of a cylinder extends infinitely....

what are you trying to do?
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I'm trying to check alignment of a cylinder to another cylinder. the problem is I can only create one cylinder the other is a circle, do to lack of room to get into the other cylinder. I have been just asking ctr to ctr distance but thought there might be a be a better way. Like creating a point where the cylinder intersects/perice the circle then ask distance from point to point
      sigpicGlobal Image
      MR 2012
      PH10MQ
      SP25-3

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
        ?? theoretically speaking, the line of a cylinder extends infinitely....

what are you trying to do?
        There is an OPTION for PROJECTED LENGTH if that's what you are looking for.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          There is an OPTION for PROJECTED LENGTH if that's what you are looking for.
          Explain in more detail if you think this would help me to check alignment of the two cylinders
          sigpicGlobal Image
          MR 2012
          PH10MQ
          SP25-3

Comment

Originally posted by hobbie View Post
            I'm trying to check alignment of a cylinder to another cylinder. the problem is I can only create one cylinder the other is a circle, do to lack of room to get into the other cylinder. I have been just asking ctr to ctr distance but thought there might be a be a better way. Like creating a point where the cylinder intersects/perice the circle then ask distance from point to point
            It sounds to me like what you might want to do is find the distance from the circle to the cylinder along a line perpendicular to the cylinder's axis. One should be able to do this within the standard 'distance' dimension window.

If that is what you want, click on the circle first, then the cylinder, check the box next to 'feature' and check the box next to 'perpendicular to'.

Again, if that is indeed what you are looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
              It sounds to me like what you might want to do is find the distance from the circle to the cylinder along a line perpendicular to the cylinder's axis. One should be able to do this within the standard 'distance' dimension window.

If that is what you want, click on the circle first, then the cylinder, check the box next to 'feature' and check the box next to 'perpendicular to'.

Again, if that is indeed what you are looking for...
              I will try it that way. I have been asking distance from cylinder to circle in 2d. That seemed to work but recently i have been getting dim that seemed impossible to be. That is why i have been asking what could be presumed dumb questions. thanks!
              sigpicGlobal Image
              MR 2012
              PH10MQ
              SP25-3

Comment

Originally posted by hobbie View Post
                Without a drawing it is hard to say what is right for your part, but a 3D DISTANCE FROM CIRCLE TO CYLINDER will give you the distance from the circle to the projected centerline. (point to line)..

I dont like it because the measurement is highly dependent on 3rd axis positioning during the measurement of the circle.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

#DIM D200 = 3D DISTANCE FROM CYLINDER BST35 TO CIRCLE DST35, NO_RADIUS
                  AX NOMINAL +TOL -TOL MEAS OUTTOL
                  M 0.0000 0.0020 0.0020 0.0028 0.0008

#DIM D275 = 2D DISTANCE FROM CIRCLE DST35 TO CYLINDER BST35 PERPENDICULAR TO CYLINDER BST35, NO_RADIUS
                  AX NOMINAL +TOL -TOL MEAS OUTTOL
                  M 0.0000 0.0020 0.0020 0.0017 0.0000

Big difference
                  sigpicGlobal Image
                  MR 2012
                  PH10MQ
                  SP25-3

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                    Without a drawing it is hard to say what is right for your part, but a 3D DISTANCE FROM CIRCLE TO CYLINDER will give you the distance from the circle to the projected centerline. (point to line)..

I dont like it because the measurement is highly dependent on 3rd axis positioning during the measurement of the circle.
                    Thanks for the input! As i have found out from this site I'm not alone. Many have been thrown to the wolves when it comes to pcdmis. Being new to this software i have had many challenges in the past year and feel confident that i will prevail now that i have found others who can smack me around a bit to get my thinking straight. Im going to do some thinking on the 3rd axis thing to ensure that I get the most accurate reading. Again thanks for the input.
                    sigpicGlobal Image
                    MR 2012
                    PH10MQ
                    SP25-3

Comment