Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline edgepoint

4.2 mr1

When i construct edgepoints my measure order is both edge and surface which i want.

I save the program close and open it back up and they all are just surface now. What do i need to do to keep them both edge and surface.
    sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Originally posted by mikold View Post
    4.2 mr1

When i construct edgepoints my measure order is both edge and surface which i want.

I save the program close and open it back up and they all are just surface now. What do i need to do to keep them both edge and surface.
    HOW many sample hits are you taking? If you are only taking 1 or 3 sample hits, they will all be surface, the single edge hit is always going to be taken, SO, if you are ONLY sampling the surface, then the meas-order will be just surface.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I'm taking a hit on the surface then the edge in the past this hasn't been a problem. I don't have this problem on any other CMM's.

But the offline I have is doing this. Is there any setting that would prevent it from taking a hit on the edge?

When I execute it from the auto feature window it works like I would excpect to, but soon as I close out and get back in, it only wants to take just the surface hit.
      Last edited by mikold; 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM. Reason: removed the word surface
      sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment

I'm taking a hit on the surface then the edge in the past this hasn't been a problem. I don't have this problem on any other CMM's.

But the offline I have is doing this. Is there any setting that would prevent it from taking a hit on the edge?

When I execute it from the auto feature window it works like I would excpect to, but soon as I close out and get back in, it only wants to take just the surface hit.
        I guess I don't get it, an edge point will ALWAYS take a hit on the edge, it is after all an edge point. Are you trying to sample the edge with a single sample as well as sampling the surface with a single sample THEN expecting it to measure the edge for a total of 3 hits? WHY would you need to to sample the edge with a single hit BEFORE it measures the edge? If all you want is a hit on the surface and a hit on the edge, then the sample hits will be 1 and it will then measure the edge based on the surface sample.

If you set to 1 sample hits, it will be a surface sample
        If you set to 2 sample hits, both will be on the edge to calculate actual edge vector
        If you set to 3 sample hits, 1 will be surface and 2 will be edge samples
        If you set to 4 sample hits, 3 will be surface (to get actual surface vector & location) and one will be edge for 'rough' location (and this one makes NO sence at all to me)
        If you set to 5 sample hits, 3 will be surface (for surface vector) and 2 will be edge hits (for edge vector) then a final hit will be on the edge, using the surface vector & location and the edge vector will be based on the 2 edge samples.

So, how many sample hits do you have it set to take? REMEMBER, sample hits are NOT 'measurement' hits, they are the internal info hits Pcdmis uses to report the measuremnet hits.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

It sounds like he is not using edge point and is constructing a edge point from two different hits.
          sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
          THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
          4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Curious...Are the vectors ok?

What mode you have it set to? SURFACE, EDGE or BOTH.
            I always use Surface.

In fact, I wish someone could explain in what instances "BOTH" is used.
            According to help: BOTH measures the surface, then the edge, and then the surface again (?).
            sigpicIt's corona time!
            737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

It sounds like he is not using edge point and is constructing a edge point from two different hits.
              I'm using edgepoint just like I have before online with no problem.
              Curious...Are the vectors ok?
              Yes the vectors are O.K. and when I execute with the CAD in looks good.
              sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment

In fact, I wish someone could explain in what instances "BOTH" is used.
                I know if the box says surface it will just take the surface point same with edge just the edge but when the box says both it takes suraface and edge point together. I have always used edge point in this manner. I measure alot of sheet metal.
                sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment

I know if the box says surface it will just take the surface point same with edge just the edge but when the box says both it takes suraface and edge point together. I have always used edge point in this manner. I measure alot of sheet metal.
                  I have always done sheet metal with edge points. I use ONE sample hit. I have always used SURFACE. Do you have 1 for the INITAL SAMPLE and 1 for the PERM sample? If you only have it for the INIT SAMPLE (and 0 for the PERM SAMPLE), then it will only touch the surface once, the first time it is executed, after that it will never sample the surface again. With SURFACE as teh selection, it samples the SURFACE first, with EDGE selected, it MEASURES the edge before sampleing the surface. With BOTH it should (SHOULD, mind you) sample the surface, measure the edge, then re-sample the surface at an ACTUAL indent value from the edge, instead of a nominal INDENT distance (and make it a 3-hit measurement instead of only 2). SO, I would guess you have 1 INIT and 0 PERM samples set.
                  sigpic

Comment

Do you have 1 for the INITAL SAMPLE and 1 for the PERM sample?
                    I cannot find this under edgepoint all I have is sample hits in the tool box. Which I have never used with edgepoint. Then it turns it into a 3 or more point feature like Matt said.
                    In your opinion what is the benefit of re-sampling the surface.
                    sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment

I cannot find this under edgepoint all I have is sample hits in the tool box. Which I have never used with edgepoint. Then it turns it into a 3 or more point feature like Matt said.
                      None what-so-ever. I never understood WHY they would have that as an option. The ONLY thing it will 'really' do fo you is that if you have the INDENT set to, say, 3mm, then the re-sample will give you a surface deviation that is 'exactly' 3mm in from the REAL edge instead of the nominal edge. I just never understood it, not at all.

Look in the edit window and have it show all the parameters for the edge-point. It should have 2 SAMPLE entry areas, one for INIT and one for PERM, you can chage it there if it iwll not let you in the auto-feature window, but I have NO IDEA why they would remove that from the window. Oh, wait, they do stuff like that JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN. Pcdmis will 'default' to the last 'parameters', so maybe once you change it in the edit window, you can F9 the feature, then all the features that you create after that will get 1 & 1 (Whoo-hoo, March Madness reference!)
                      sigpic

Comment

INIT and PERM are no longer available in 4.2.

For edge points on sheet metals (trim edge) I think you should use at least 1 sample hit (surface).
                        sigpicIt's corona time!
                        737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

I tried this on another program (different part) and when I execute an edgepoint it take surface and edgepoint like normal. Close it down, bring it back up and it measures both...

So something in this one program is effecting all of my edgepoints just in this program...

As far as the initial and perm. hits I can find it on 3.7 mr3 but I'm having a hard time finding it on 4.2 mr1

INIT and PERM are no longer available in 4.2.
                          Thanks I can stop looking.
                          Last edited by mikold; 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: added comment
                          sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment

For edge points on sheet metals (trim edge) I think you should use at least 1 sample hit (surface)
                            All I'm doing is trying to get away from the radius on a feature that has been known to have process variation....
                            sigpic

What would Chesty Do?

Comment