set search path for probes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • set search path for probes

    I use 3.7mr3 normaly and the search path for probes are as follows C:\PCDMISW37MR3\ProbeV37mr3\
    The problem acurres when i change to 4.3mr1 and it reverts to the above path even when i have the search path for it set to C:\PCDMISW43MR1\ProbeV43mr1.
    I have each of the levels in thier own folder on the c drive.
    i made sure of it.
    but everytime i set the search path in which ever version i'm in and i switch to the other version it looks for this path from the other version.
    any ideas?

  • #2
    The way it was explained to me on this forum is that all versions of PC D-MIS share the same registry entry for probe search path.
    By setting the path to "current directory" it will resolve your issue as long as you also separate programs written in various versions by directory.
    You end up with lots of probe files and less frustration this way.

    Comment


    • #3
      The problem acurres when i change to 4.3mr1 and it reverts to the above path even when i have the search path for it set to C:\PCDMISW43MR1\ProbeV43mr1
      There is no "pcdmisw" file in V4.3. The path would be WAI and then whatever...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
        There is no "pcdmisw" file in V4.3. The path would be WAI and then whatever...
        Unless HE specified his install directory instead of using whatever jibberish wilcox programmed in as default. I do NOT use any of the Pcdmis install default directories. Although I have heard that they FINALLY are including the release into as part of the install directory (finally).
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          Unless HE specified his install directory instead of using whatever jibberish wilcox programmed in as default. I do NOT use any of the Pcdmis install default directories. Although I have heard that they FINALLY are including the release into as part of the install directory (finally).
          I know... however I am leaping to the conclusion that if the person is tech savvy enough to install in "custom" directories then they sure as he ll could set the probe search path.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
            I know... however I am leaping to the conclusion that if the person is tech savvy enough to install in "custom" directories then they sure as he ll could set the probe search path.
            BUT, the OP ran into the same issue so many other multi-version users have asked about, namely the pesky way Pcdmis does NOT have unique registrys for each version, THUS making it VERY DANGEROUS to un-install ANY SINGLE version in a multi-version PC. If you have V3.25, V3.5, V3.7, V4.1 and V4.2 all installed as multi-version, what happens when you use the V3.5 un-install utility? Are ALL version (V3.5 and up) now trashed and wasted since they all use a common registry block?
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              BUT, the OP ran into the same issue so many other multi-version users have asked about, namely the pesky way Pcdmis does NOT have unique registrys for each version, THUS making it VERY DANGEROUS to un-install ANY SINGLE version in a multi-version PC. If you have V3.25, V3.5, V3.7, V4.1 and V4.2 all installed as multi-version, what happens when you use the V3.5 un-install utility? Are ALL version (V3.5 and up) now trashed and wasted since they all use a common registry block?
              This has nothing to do with uninstall. It is simple file pointing and I told Fuzz where I saw an obvious pointing concern. My guess is that the esteemed Fuzzy did not know where to look for the probes so a simple "copy/paste" was done from the 3.7 file path and then ( logically ) changed 3.7 to 4.2 manually, which would actually be correct except in V4.0 WAI changed the install paths to drop the "pcdmisw" file and add a more intuitive path way. Unfortunately the logical path was added 20 years after everyone was trained to look for a "pcdmisw" file.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
                This has nothing to do with uninstall. It is simple file pointing and I told Fuzz where I saw an obvious pointing concern. My guess is that the esteemed Fuzzy did not know where to look for the probes so a simple "copy/paste" was done from the 3.7 file path and then ( logically ) changed 3.7 to 4.2 manually, which would actually be correct except in V4.0 WAI changed the install paths to drop the "pcdmisw" file and add a more intuitive path way. Unfortunately the logical path was added 20 years after everyone was trained to look for a "pcdmisw" file.
                I never said it did have anything to do with un-install, it was mearly an additional issue with the single-registry-block situation that surrounds Pcdmis. Of course, you missed in the OP the facts that he says he has the directories set up, one for each level and that when he changes from one version to another, it is using the path from the previous version used, which points to the stupid single-registry-block issue. He said his version of V4.3 MR1 REVERTED back to (which means it WAS set to and using a correct path) the path he set in V3.7. This reverting is due to the single registry-entry for ALL of Pcdmis, V3.5 and up, which has additional issues OTHER THAN the search path, I was simply tring to give him a heads-up about another issue with the single-registry-block before it bit him in the back side.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As always Matt you are right. I am humbled by your wisdom.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dang!!! Just when I thought we'd have to find a taller tree!!
                    v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                    B&S Global 544, 555
                    Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

                    sigpic
                    Since 1994

                    Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                    (Advice from my dad.)

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X