Calibration Sphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration Sphere

This has probably been hashed out before and if so please direct me to the thread.

Do you have your calibration sphere calibrated?
    Yes, at a regular interval.
    35.44%
    No, never have.
    50.63%
    No, I believe it is not necessary.
    13.92%

Thats not a bad question.........i have'nt ???????????
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Thats ironic...

My boss just asked me yesterday because shop gage calibration will be active during the 4th holiday. He was looking at the machine for a cal sticker and I showed him the B&S sticker and he asked "what about the sphere?".

I said that it came with a cert and it isn't incuring any wear so it would be the same as it was last year, the year before....and so on.
      It will be interesting to see what is decided. I would appose sending it out, because I don't know how it will be handled and/or checked. I would hate for it to come back with some irregularities in it.
      sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

I've had auditors ask me about the master ball and I've shown them the cert and a recall date.

Put it in the calibration system as 2 items. The first for a visual inpsection every couple pf months, the second as an actual outside certification every 10 years or so.

The auditor con't complain and your back side will covered.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

No have not had it done. Been 3 years. I think if I asked about it our gage lab would take a mic to it and leave it at that. My self I think it should be done at least on some kind of cycle
          sigpic
          if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

I never have and chances are I never will
            sigpic

Comment

I voted no. I would like to hear of any valid reason to have this done on a regular basis other than to keep someone happy about calibration records. I use the Cert. that came with it. Any practical reason? Tlnzz.
              PC-DMIS V3.5 MR1. CAD++
              Global Image 574.
              Windows XP
              ASQ-CMI. - 1986
              Journeyman machinist, August 1970.

Comment

Actually, I believe the probe, "calibration", Sphere could be labeled reference only. It’s not used to calibrate the machine for traceability. It's a probe Qualification sphere. Traceability would be the once a year Calibration. Any thoughts??? Tlnzz.
                Last edited by tlnzz; 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM.
                PC-DMIS V3.5 MR1. CAD++
                Global Image 574.
                Windows XP
                ASQ-CMI. - 1986
                Journeyman machinist, August 1970.

Comment

I said yes. I didn't have them (we have 2, 1 is the double ball, 45 degree and the other is the 2 inch) calibrated for years but when we started getting into all this certification/validation stuff (iso/QS/TS) I actually got asked in one of the early audits. Danced around it but then decided to go ahead and get them done. We have them certified every 2 years which is probably excessive, but our department's rep has been to pass with flying colors everytime and I don't want to chance it.
                  When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm unsure if this is the correct method, but we have projects that last about 5 years. We buy new ones at the beginning, we use them throughout the entire project, then get new ones when we start a new product line.

I've never sent one out to get verified/calibrated
                    David Monroe
                    Is there any way to stop the infernal beeping!?

3.5 MR2
                    Dual Arm Vento

sigpic

Comment

I consider the calibration spheres to be "masters" for qualifying the probe tips the same as a master ring gage for setting dial bore indicators. Therfore, certify them at a 1 or 2 year interval.

Comment

We don't. I did have to buy a new one once when I came in one morning and saw that one of our monkeys had Scotchbrighted it when they were "cleaning" the machine because he did not like the results he was getting. Good thing he didn't know how to get to the scales.
                        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

We send ours to an outside cal lab every five years.
                          v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                          B&S Global 544, 555
                          Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
                          Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                          (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

Of those of you who send yours out; who do you use? Our Quality Manager tells me we need somewhere that has 3rd party approval; the place I have a quote from does not have that.
                            CAD++ 2017 R1, Catia Translator
                            B&S Xcel, Renishaw PH10MQ

Comment

Trick question, you can't calibrate a gage with no adjustments.

Now as far as certifications are concerned, I absolutely recommend that you begin a certification of your qualification artifact at regular intervals since size and sphericity affect any measurement that you do that is a feature of size.
                              Systems Integrator
                              Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment