Scanning Question - Version? Equip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning Question - Version? Equip?

I'm using v3.7MR1 CAD (not CAD++). I'm looking to get the scanning feature. Is this available as a module? or only in the CAD++ version?

What else is needed for the scanning feature? Do I need a scanning head, probe, controller?. I'm using a Sheffield Discovery II Retrofit and Sheffield PHC 10-2 controller. I've heard of two different types of scanning. One is trigger hits and one is straight surface scanning by running the probes on surfaces. Can someone elaborate on this?
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

To tell you the truth, if you don't have the capabilities now to do scanning, I would look at other options before paying the extra for the CAD++ and a scanning head. You CAN scan with the Touch Trigger Probe, but you are talking a LONG, LONG time. Also, if you have the Sharpe32 controller, a scanning head won't do you any good without upgrading the controller to the Sharpe32Z. I would look at a scanning camera that is not part of the CMM/Pcdmis. That is what we have. 640x480 3-D points gathered in less than 3 seconds. Of course, there are some draw-backs and other things that will take time, but I am about 999% sure (yes, 3 nines) that it is quicker using the camera we have than it would be using Pcdmis and a scanning head. Either a laser head or a continuous contact scanner on the CMM will only gather 1 line of data at a time, so you will be going back and forth, back and forth, who knows how many times. On a simple detail that only needs to be reproduced, not altered, I can have a 3-D model WITH SURFACE done in an hour. On a complicated 3-D detail that I did just this week, after a couple months of NOT using the camera or software, it took me about 4 or 5 hours to have a complete 3-D surfaced model. Now, this is also without any training on the software used, other than just barely enough to be able to use it. They keep wanting to send me to S.Carolina for a week of training, but then who would run this department?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matt, can you gimme an URL of the Camera you are talking about?

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Yep, this is the one that I have:

http://konicaminolta.com/products/vi...fications.html
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Aren't these cameras only accurate within .002?

Comment

Actually I'm looking for something to add to our CMM that would be able to scan diameters for roundness issues (Rnd .001").

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Touch trigger scanning, for the application you just described, would not be much more than adding hits to an auto-circle.

Lasers and cameras have issues with accuracy based on how well the device "sees" the part.

Analogue scanning has its own limitations with speed, cost.

It really all depends on your material, application, environment and budget, to name a few.
              Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

Accuracy +/-0.050mm (0.002") in XYZ with a Z percision of 0.008mm (depth of view). Biggest thing is what you are looking for. Reverse engineering, sheet metal, MORE than good enough. Aerospace, probably not. But, there are other options out there, other than this one. ALl I know is that this one works sweet for what we are using it for, REV-ENG of details from sheet metal stamping dies. Over 100 details done for an out-side customer, scanning and surface creation (they reproduced the details), not a single complaint about any of the data.
                sigpic

Comment

I had a demo from a B&S supplier and I really liked the continuous contact scanning they showed me. Does anyone know if this can be added onto a Sheffield? Supply an URL if possible?

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                  PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Scan this

Hi -

This is my first post, so please pardon any political un-correctness.

I don't know about the B&S scanning head, but we have a constant-contact scanning CMM manufactured by EMD that has worked well.

Here is their website:
                    http://www.emdsceptre.com/

We use it primarily to measure profiles and sizes of polygons.
                    Under best conditions it's accuracy is rated +/- .00004". We generally rely on about double that.

We also have a M&M CMM fitted with an EMD head used to scan surface profiles on rotors.

The company tech is always after us to retrofit one or more of our three Sheffield machines with his stuff - he has done this for other companies.

(FYI - I'm not advertising for them)
                    Just answering a question with what little knowledge I have. If you call them, ask for Klaus -
                    sigpic

Comment

We have an sp600 and have used the scannign capability to measure a tolerance of .0003" roundness with pretty good results.
                      I have heard many good things about the sp25 (sp600's replacement) also.
                      If you do go the way of a scanning probe etc., make sure that you talk to many folks here, and take the one day course B&S offers on the sp600 head.
                      I had to learn the hard way that many default parameters (and those that work with a ttp probe) are not the correct or best parameters for the sp head.

As I am not familiar with the sp25, all I can speak for is the sp600--We have this on a ph10 indexing head, and we lose accuracy after 15 grams of weight on the sp600. Seems like alot, but the module itself takes up about 1/2 or more of that already (I am at home and don't remember the stats).

When we bought our machine, we bought it with the sp600 and I'll tell you what, I would love to have a touch trigger probe head now. If I could do it over I would have gone that route instead.

What type of tolerances on roundness are you trying to measure/hold/control and verify with the scaning?

Comment