Probe Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Change

OK... simple (?) question... (remember I'm new to CMM's)

I have a part program that I have called up to check a part we have. The program calls for a specific tip (I know, they all do right?) a 2 x 40mm shank. The 2 x 40mm shank tip is no longer available to me. Can I change the loadprobe command in the program with a 3 x 40mm tip and be good to go? Or is there something else I must do? Or do I have to replace the entire program? I really have no idea.

Thanks!

kevin
    Kevin N. Thompson - Thompson Digital Image
    Quality Manager - Rj Link International

F9 the load/probe command and highlight the 2by40mm tip and pick a new tip from the drop down. You may have to reselect the tips used but, I don't think so from just changing tips. If you do have to select the tips, hit global used and that will pick all of the tips you are using with that probe name.
    sigpic

Comment

The global used will only search the 'search' directory for tips. If you have a program in the directory C:\Pcdmis\TEST-BLOCK and one program in the directory C:\Pcdmis\Act-Block, it will only find the used tips in the search directory you are using OR the directory where the program is (they CAN be different).
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

As long as the tips I want to switch to have already been calibrated I've had no problems making the change and moving on.

TK
        sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Right, isntead of changing the probe file, just use a different probe file, if you have one already made and ready for use.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

aok... thanks guys! I already had another probe file made, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't get screwey measurements by switching the probe file after programming in a certain one...

looks all good!

Comment

Also remember to look at the depths of features. The Programmer may have given them a depth. This is ok if it a solid piece of metal, but if it is a stamping or plactic, it could hit on the shank of the styli instead of the ball. If this is the case I would elimanate the depth, and add pre hits if none are there now amd use no depth unless its not on the sheared side of material, or Rmeas points, this should elimanate bad hits.
              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach
                ...if it is a stamping or plactic, it could hit on the shank of the styli instead of the ball. ...
                Good point Paul... thank you... yes we are a stamping house here.. so that's very often a concern, unless it happens to be a punch or a die we are checking, but then we don't write programs for those.. (I don't think anyways.. just getting into scanning on punches and dies).

Comment

Just curious, what type of scanning are doing? What type of probe(s) is/are you using? If you are contact scanning with an SP600 there are a number different things to be concerned about. I'll explain further upon your response.
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Using a TP20 Probe on a PH10T wrist..... basic scanning of punches and dies for the engineering department. Nothing fancy... I just started doing this yesterday... you know, pick up a punch, pick up the manual, see what you can make it do! Got a little further instruction today, but still wading through it all...

Comment