Bearing Housing Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing Housing Race

Is there a way to measure a bearing housing race without scanning. I do not have that option. They're wanting me to check the diameter and profile.
    I have the housing bore facing up in the z direction. The bore is large enough for me to get a 4mmx10mm probe in setting at A90B90. I got a center point in middle of housing. I line it up right on the x axis and took several hits along race from top to bottom on +y plane, giving me a circle from those hits looking at the +y plane. The measurements do not seem good. I assumed they are not hitting on the right vectors. I tried the probe set at A45B90, but got the same results.

Is there another way to measure this? Can it be done like this? Would it work using a star probe at A0B0, or would that be the same thing?

Thanks.

I am not 100% on what your asking. Depending on you Probe Head getting a diameter dimension is out of the question. You do have cad? H

But I would take a Rmeas point on the face bearing, and take surface hits in side at different levels and Dimension the t value for form.

Do you make these racers?
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I may have confused most. Here is a .pdf of a sketch I did this morning similar to my part I am trying to measure.

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Note rotating the head or probe adds one more level of variation. Might be a good application for a disk probe.

What kind of tolerences are you working?
        What kind of equipment are you using PH1, PH9....Manual or DCC Machine?

BS
        Windows 7
        Pc-Dmis 2015
        Global Performance 7-10-7

Comment

Take surface points all around you can use different angles and then create a sphere
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach
            Take surface points all around you can use different angles and then create a sphere
            I like Pauls idea. I would measure 4 spheres, 4 overlapping quadrants (4 90 degree probes) and then create a final sphere with the points of the 4 spheres. Make sense? I could probably create some "generic" code for you if you don't know how to do this.

Good luck,

TK
            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Tolereance of diameter is 6.1890/6.1874. Profile of .0004.
              I have DCC on PH10T with TP20.

Between tking and Paul's comments it sounds like I should rotate probe
              A90 then B0,45,90,135 and so on. Then take hits from each angle 4 different levels in Z to make a sphere. I make these manually, but how would this work in DCC (seeing that the probe would have to come out of the hole to index)? Is that the right idea? Am I hot or cold?

tking, maybe when you get some free time, you can work me up some of the generic code. I would appreciate it.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Ralph,

You'll have to modify this to match your diameter (set to 15), it's set up as if your "sphere" is xyz origin, the start and end set to -10 and 10 may need to be adjusted to cover the race (maybe more than 10 each or less).

EDIT:

You may want to change the auto move to NEVER or your machine will bring the tip to the center of the feature and then drive for the first point and the same on the way out, don't want to crash into the part with the probe head.

I tried this on the cal sphere here and found the last line doesn't work properly. It seems the points have to be constructed one at a time and then pulled into the circle sphere function to get it right. You probably need the points anyway to evaluate the profile of the race. If I hear from you I'll finish this for you. I'm off the 1st week of July so it won't be until the 2nd week.

END EDIT:

Good luck,

TK

PART NAME : sphere
                REV NUMBER :
                SER NUMBER :
                STATS COUNT : 1

STARTUP =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:, LIST= YES
                ALIGNMENT/END
                MODE/MANUAL
                LOADPROBE/PROBE2CYL45LONG
                TIP/T1A90B180, SHANKIJK=1, 0, 0, ANGLE=-90
                COMMENT/DOC,NO,Sphere nominal would be the xyz oigin, moves
                ,in and out for probe index all yours
                SPH1 =AUTO/SPHERE,SHOWALLPARAMS = YES,SHOWHITS = NO
                THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                ACTL/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                TARG/0,0,0,0,0,1
                THEO_THICKNESS = 0,RECT,IN,$
                AUTO MOVE = BOTH,DISTANCE = 15,$
                NUMHITS = 36,NUMROWS = 3,INIT = 0,PERM = 0,SPACER = 0,$
                START ANGLE 1 = 240,END ANGLE 1 = 130,$
                START ANGLE 2 = -10,END ANGLE 2 = 10,$
                ANGLE VEC = 1,0,0
                TIP/T1A90B90, SHANKIJK=0, -1, 0, ANGLE=180
                SPH2 =AUTO/SPHERE,SHOWALLPARAMS = YES,SHOWHITS = NO
                THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                ACTL/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                TARG/0,0,0,0,0,1
                ANGLE VEC = 0,-1,0
                TIP/T1A90B0, SHANKIJK=-1, 0, 0, ANGLE=90
                SPH3 =AUTO/SPHERE,SHOWALLPARAMS = YES,SHOWHITS = NO
                THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                ACTL/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                TARG/0,0,0,0,0,1
                ANGLE VEC = -1,0,0
                TIP/T1A90B-90, SHANKIJK=0, 1, 0, ANGLE=180
                SPH4 =AUTO/SPHERE,SHOWALLPARAMS = YES,SHOWHITS = NO
                THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                ACTL/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                TARG/0,0,0,0,0,1
                ANGLE VEC = 0,1,0
                SPH5 =FEAT/SPHERE,RECT,IN
                THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                ACTL/0,0,0,0,0,1,15
                CONSTR/SPHERE,BF,SPH1.HIT[1...36],SPH2.HIT[1...36],SPH3.HIT[1...36],SPH4.HIT[1...36],,
                Last edited by tking; 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM.
                sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

One thing that may help is that you can place move points and angle changes in the middle of a feature. Simply take the hits you need with one angle, insert move points, change tip angle, more hits etc. and press "done" All the move points and tip changes will be in the feature.

Comment

WORD OF WARNING FOR changing tips in the middle of a single feature:

Pcdmis will ONLY use the comp for the LAST tip used. You are much better off (and more accurate) to measure individual points, using whatever tip you need, then constructing the feature later.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck
                      One thing that may help is that you can place move points and angle changes in the middle of a feature. Simply take the hits you need with one angle, insert move points, change tip angle, more hits etc. and press "done" All the move points and tip changes will be in the feature.
                      I've wondered about that, you can do that in an auto sphere? Don't know so I don't trust it. Found a way that works well and stuck with it. I am open to being educated by more experienced folks.

Thanks,

TK
                      sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                        WORD OF WARNING FOR changing tips in the middle of a single feature:

Pcdmis will ONLY use the comp for the LAST tip used. You are much better off (and more accurate) to measure individual points, using whatever tip you need, then constructing the feature later.
                        Matt, you are correct, I forgot to mention that. I only use this when measuring a feature that has quite a large tolerance. Looks like his tol. is pretty tight so I wouldn't change tips in this case.

Comment

You can only add moves, tips, etc. to 'learned' features. If you are creating the features in the DCC Features (or AUTO FEATURES) window (CTRL-F), you can not add 'things' between hits of the feature.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                            You can only add moves, tips, etc. to 'learned' features. If you are creating the features in the DCC Features (or AUTO FEATURES) window (CTRL-F), you can not add 'things' between hits of the feature.
                            That's what I thought (or thought I remembered).

Thanks, Matt,

TK
                            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment