When vector .5 = .7071068

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When vector .5 = .7071068

    Does anyone key in .5 to get a vector of 45 degrees? I have done this since my days of CNC programming. PC-DMIS recognizes this as 45 degrees and writes .7071068 into the code for me.
    sigpicDigital 3D photography :cool:
    PC-DMIS CAD++ v2014 SP1 -- Windows 7 -- Mitutoyo Bright 707 :rolleyes: PC-DMIS Vision 2014.1 -- Optiv Performance 664

  • #2
    Originally posted by rickfngp View Post
    Does anyone key in .5 to get a vector of 45 degrees? I have done this since my days of CNC programming. PC-DMIS recognizes this as 45 degrees and writes .7071068 into the code for me.
    see sines/cosines book/calcu whatever (i have an old 'zeus' book!!!!)
    it gives all the vectors needed.
    sigpicRichie the Villian!!

    V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't have to look up .5, I can remember that. PC-DMIS can remember .7071068.
      sigpicDigital 3D photography :cool:
      PC-DMIS CAD++ v2014 SP1 -- Windows 7 -- Mitutoyo Bright 707 :rolleyes: PC-DMIS Vision 2014.1 -- Optiv Performance 664

      Comment


      • #4
        How do you key in .5, where and in what to get it to come to .7071068
        I have always typed in the right vector approach values to get what I wanted.
        Never tried anything else.
        sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
        THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
        4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pniven View Post
          How do you key in .5, where and in what to get it to come to .7071068
          I have always typed in the right vector approach values to get what I wanted.
          Never tried anything else.
          Auto Vector Point is where I usually use it. Since 45 degrees is half way between 0 degrees (vector 0) and 90 degrees (vector 1), then .5 is half way between 0 and 1. Since my CNC programming days it's been a habbit. The instructor in PC-DMIS programming class had never heard of it either.
          sigpicDigital 3D photography :cool:
          PC-DMIS CAD++ v2014 SP1 -- Windows 7 -- Mitutoyo Bright 707 :rolleyes: PC-DMIS Vision 2014.1 -- Optiv Performance 664

          Comment


          • #6
            Its funny that you brought this up, i actually do the same thing. In fact when i went to training, the instructor did bring it up, and put it on the board in order to calc. vector deviation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rickfngp View Post
              Auto Vector Point is where I usually use it. Since 45 degrees is half way between 0 degrees (vector 0) and 90 degrees (vector 1), then .5 is half way between 0 and 1. Since my CNC programming days it's been a habbit. The instructor in PC-DMIS programming class had never heard of it either.
              What is happening (I am guessing) is that you are putting that 0.5 in for TWO of the axis vector in the window. Pcdmis 'sees' 2 vectors with a value, one without, and then finds the closest "2-D" vector to match what you have put in that is correct for the math, if you follow, since Pcdmis will NOT allow you to have a vector that does NOT add up to the correct SQRT(I^2+J^2+K^2) value of one. Put in 0.6 and 0.3 in the IJK somewhere, create the point (no need to measure it) and it will give you the closest 'true' vector values to match the garbage you typed in.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

              Comment


              • #8
                I will have to try that.
                sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
                THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
                4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  What is happening (I am guessing) is that you are putting that 0.5 in for TWO of the axis vector in the window. Pcdmis 'sees' 2 vectors with a value, one without, and then finds the closest "2-D" vector to match what you have put in that is correct for the math, if you follow, since Pcdmis will NOT allow you to have a vector that does NOT add up to the correct SQRT(I^2+J^2+K^2) value of one. Put in 0.6 and 0.3 in the IJK somewhere, create the point (no need to measure it) and it will give you the closest 'true' vector values to match the garbage you typed in.
                  You are correct Matt, except for the reference to garbage. It's a convenient shortcut.
                  sigpicDigital 3D photography :cool:
                  PC-DMIS CAD++ v2014 SP1 -- Windows 7 -- Mitutoyo Bright 707 :rolleyes: PC-DMIS Vision 2014.1 -- Optiv Performance 664

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rickfngp View Post
                    You are correct Matt, except for the reference to garbage. It's a convenient shortcut.
                    "garbage" meaning incorrect vectoral values, not implying that the method is garbage, just the 'non-real world' values used to get PCdmis to calc the 'true-real world values', if ya follow me.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rickfngp View Post
                      Auto Vector Point is where I usually use it. Since 45 degrees is half way between 0 degrees (vector 0) and 90 degrees (vector 1), then .5 is half way between 0 and 1. Since my CNC programming days it's been a habbit. The instructor in PC-DMIS programming class had never heard of it either.
                      i'm intrigued??
                      where do you put '0.5' to get a vector of 0.707 in 'Auto-vector point' ?
                      i think i must misunderstand what your saying.
                      sigpicRichie the Villian!!

                      V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RCW52 View Post
                        i'm intrigued??
                        where do you put '0.5' to get a vector of 0.707 in 'Auto-vector point' ?
                        i think i must misunderstand what your saying.
                        In the IJK holes in the AUTO FEATURE ~ VECTOR window, you can put ANY identical absolute value amounts (in TWO of the vector and a zero in the third, where it say IJK) and when you create the point, Pcdmis will 'correct' the vector to be proper math. So, you could use 0.1 and 0.1 and 0 for the 3 vectors and it will give you the proper vectors for the 45 degree. You could also use 1, 1, 0 for the vectors and you will STILL get a 0.7071068 shown for the vectors in the edit window
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by AndersI
                        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                          In the IJK holes in the AUTO FEATURE ~ VECTOR window, you can put ANY identical absolute value amounts (in TWO of the vector and a zero in the third, where it say IJK) and when you create the point, Pcdmis will 'correct' the vector to be proper math. So, you could use 0.1 and 0.1 and 0 for the 3 vectors and it will give you the proper vectors for the 45 degree. You could also use 1, 1, 0 for the vectors and you will STILL get a 0.7071068 shown for the vectors in the edit window
                          never knew that.
                          thankyou.
                          sigpicRichie the Villian!!

                          V4.2 MR1 CAD++/MISTRAL 10-07-07 DCC/XP

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OK, I follow you. I have been wondering about that formula SQRT(I^2+J^2+K^2). If it works when the probe travels at a 45 degree angle on both the X and Y axis but does not move on the Z axis, then how can it work if you then program the Z axis to also move at 45 degrees?
                            sigpicDigital 3D photography :cool:
                            PC-DMIS CAD++ v2014 SP1 -- Windows 7 -- Mitutoyo Bright 707 :rolleyes: PC-DMIS Vision 2014.1 -- Optiv Performance 664

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rickfngp View Post
                              OK, I follow you. I have been wondering about that formula SQRT(I^2+J^2+K^2). If it works when the probe travels at a 45 degree angle on both the X and Y axis but does not move on the Z axis, then how can it work if you then program the Z axis to also move at 45 degrees?
                              Put in 1,1,1 for the vectors, and Pcdmis will calculate that as well. It will come up with the correct vector values so that the formula will give the answer of 1 for the total (which is what ALL vectors will calculate out to when used in that formula) using the imput values as the RATIO for the movement (IJK) values. You can not even have 3 vectors all equal to 0.7071.... since that is not possible.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by AndersI
                              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X