Tooling Ball Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooling Ball Alignment

I used to do tooling ball alignment with TARUS all the time, but now's my first time having to setup a fixture with 3 tooling balls that are not in "simple" XYZ alignment (meaning I can't just do the 3-2-1 plane, line, point with them). What's the best way to align them? I've picked up the fixture and have it correctly aligned, and went back to pick up the balls. Now I want to "fine-tune" the alignment to those ball locations from now on for alignment. Any ideas?

All three spheres should have a xyz dimension. Open Auto feature sphere. Type in the xyz values of one of the spheres. Check your cad to see which way your surface should be of the top surface of the fixture so you can put in the right IJK values of surface. Mark your start and end angles 0 to 360 if appropriate. Mark Outer and the dimension of the sphere.
    Start angle 2 (0) end angle 2 (90). Have the Measure now toggle pushed in. With your probe tool box open, you should have 5 hit and 2 rolls marked. Press Ok and it should ask you to measure the sphere. The first point should be on top and four around the center. Do this to the other two spheres.

Go to Insert /Alignment /New/Iterative
    Highlight all three to level
    Highlight two to rotate
    Highlight one as origin
    If you Mark measure all once, it will ask you to move the probe near the spheres again, no move points and it will measure the sphere in DCC after you click OK.
    If you Mark measure all always like I do It will re-measure all the spheres in DCC by it self. But you will need to put in move points before and after your spheres so you do not crash. Always run slow to make it easy to stop in time.
    I hope this will help and I didn’t forget anything.
    Last edited by pniven; 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM.
    sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
    THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
    4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Originally posted by pniven View Post
      All three spheres should have a xyz dimension. Open Auto feature sphere. Type in the xyz values of one of the spheres. Check your cad to see which way your surface should be of the top surface of the fixture so you can put in the right IJK values of surface. Mark your start and end angles 0 to 360 if appropriate. Mark Outer and the dimension of the sphere.
      Start angle 2 (0) end angle 2 (90). Have the Measure now toggle pushed in. With your probe tool box open, you should have 5 hit and 2 rolls marked. Press Ok and it should ask you to measure the sphere. The first point should be on top and four around the center. Do this to the other two spheres.

Go to Insert /Alignment /New/Iterative
      Highlight all three to level
      Highlight two to rotate
      Highlight one as origin
      If you Mark measure all once, it will ask you to measure all the spheres again manual after you click OK.
      If you Mark measure all always like I do It will re-measure all the spheres in DCC by it self. But you will need to put in move points before and after your spheres so you do not crash. Always run slow to make it easy to stop in time.
      I hope this will help and I didn’t forget anything.
      Wow, while waiting for a reply I went ahead and picked up the spheres, got good XYZ's, did a re-measure and iterative alignment EXACTLY as you mentioned above! Maybe I should try before asking next time...but at least now I'm confident that I know enough to figure things out, as well as know the right place to ask for help!

Thanks, man!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureMan View Post
        Wow, while waiting for a reply I went ahead and picked up the spheres, got good XYZ's, did a re-measure and iterative alignment EXACTLY as you mentioned above! Maybe I should try before asking next time...but at least now I'm confident that I know enough to figure things out, as well as know the right place to ask for help!

Thanks, man!
        We all forget it if we don,t use it for a while. I will be coming to you for help later after I forget something.
        sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
        THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
        4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment