New Computer:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer:)

Well, we actually talked the higher ups into getting a new high speed, powerfull computer and although I know this has been covered before on the forum, I wanted to ask again......
    When we install the new system, what files do I need to worry about copying onto the new system.
    We have a chameleon 201210, with a ph10mq and an sp600 head.
    All of our programs are saved/stored on our file server.
    At the same time, we will be installing and starting to use 3.7, and hopefully with all of the guru's help here, and a call to tech support, I can make this go as smoothly as possible.
    (I will be doing this on MOnday, in case there are any problems, don't want to have to come in on the weekend to resolve!)
    Got any advice on the files I need to worry about, or any other things I should be concerned about?

Shelly,

Make sure you install 3.7mr3. This version is relatively bug free.

ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

Hello,
      Congrats on the new machine. For what it is worth, I would also recommend 3.7 MR3. I have been using it for several months now without problems. The following is Matt Hodeman's post from a few weeks ago. I saved it in my notes. I do not think he will mind me reposting it here. Good Luck.

New version procedure that has worked perfectly for me for years:

1) Make a copy of the current, working install of Pcdmis and rename it (I use versions as part of the directory name - PcdV35MR2, PcdV37MR3, etc.)
      2) Install the new version into the renamed, copied directory (in this case, PcdV40MR0)
      3) Before opening ANY program in the new version, archive them, including the probe files (or simply make copies of those directories as well)

You are now ready to play with the new version and you can ALWAYS go back to a previous version and have good, working programs and probe files. Hard drive space is VERY cheap these days, if you had to, you could simply add a second hard drive for you to put the backups of the programs and probes.

NOPE, I am NOT using V4.0. Heck, I have not even gotten the disk from B&S/Wilcox/Hexagon yet. I think I am on their 'ignore' list. I wouldn't use it if I had gotten it. The only reason I started using V3.5MR0 was that I was getting too many IGES files that would not translate properly in V3.2063 MR3. The next version I used was (is) V3.7 MR3. I have several versions installed (6 at this point) because I use the programs in the versions they were written in. I do not 'migrate' programs from one version to another. The reason I have the other versions is for the rare instance when I get a customer supplied program, I will run them in their 'native' version as well.

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Keep in mind that when you open programs with the new version and it's saved. You cannot open it again with the old version. Make sure you backup all your programs so someday you can downgrade if something happens
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Shelly, I'm in love with you!! That is a terribly large and versatile machine you have. As for what you need to install, nothing(keep a copy of your old hard drive though). Everything is stored at the controller. Just install PC-DMIS (3.7mr3 preferred, though I am using 4.1 Beta but not for reporting(what sense does that make?none but 4.1 is cool to work with)).
          Don't forget to set up your TCIP address correctly. And also, don't forget to re-do your SP600 lower level matrix.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Underspec, do you know that you can save "back" to an earlier version?
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I ran into this problem with I closed the program instead of quit it. Lucky I had backup copies of the programs.
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Hey good thing you mentioned the lower matrix, I would have forgotten about that all together.
                Well, wish me luck on Monday.......

Jim, you know how they say, the more you make the more you spend?
                Its kinda like that, cause when we first got our big guy, (from a very very small microval) I thought it was huge--but there are times now when it still doesn't seem to be big enough!

(Must be a woman thing right?!?!.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley Liebman
                  (Must be a woman thing right?!?!.....)
                  Good one, still chuckling. Little slam for all us jokesters out here

TK
                  sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment