Pcdmis printing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcdmis printing question

Maybe someone knows the answer to this. When you save a report file in pcdmis and tell pcdmis to print the report (pdf) does it print the report from within pcdmis itself or does it print the report from the file where you save pcdmis? I think it prints the report from pcdmis and then it saves the report to the file. This might explain why some of my reports are printing out but i sometimes get a pcdlrn error and the report is not saved in the file so i have to remeasure the part to get a saved report.

I don’t really know but I have tried a little experiment. I printed a report after running a program to the printer, then ran the program over while it was printing. My CPU usage was 100% and the Program kept stopping and thinking while it was printing. Then I ran the same program and printed the same file from one that I had saved. My CPU usage was still 100% but the program kept running and did not stop. So that leaves me to believe that in part coming from the program to the printer it is printing from Pcdmis .
    sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
    THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
    4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Originally posted by pniven View Post
      I don’t really know but I have tried a little experiment. I printed a report after running a program to the printer, then ran the program over while it was printing. My CPU usage was 100% and the Program kept stopping and thinking while it was printing. Then I ran the same program and printed the same file from one that I had saved. My CPU usage was still 100% but the program kept running and did not stop. So that leaves me to believe that in part coming from the program to the printer it is printing from Pcdmis .
      Do you have a USB portlock or a parallel port portlock? If you have a parallel port portlock with the printer connected through the portlock you will experience delays as you say because the computer is trying to do two different things through one parallel port at the same time. Connecting a printer via USB (or somehow getting your hands on a USB portlock) will rectify the delay.

On the original question... does it print first or save first?

I don't know. I'd guess maybe it tries to do both at once. You can force it to do one and then the other by inserting two print commands at the end of your program.
      1) Go up to the file menu and turn off all printing options up there.
      2) Then, put your cursor at the end of your program.
      3) Hit 'enter' on the keyboard and then type print, then hit 'tab' on the keyboard. The rest of the print command should automatically appear.
      4)Hit F9 and you'll get a window with the print options. If you want it to save first, set it up only to save.

Repeat steps 2 through 4 but set it up to print instead of save. You should now have two individual print commands at the end of your program Save the program and give it a run, see if it works.

Comment

A LONG time ago, I gave up even trying to print to a print from Pcdmis. I save RTF files, then if, and only if, I need them, I print them from WORD. Too often, in the old days, BEFORE there was USB, all printing had to be done throught the port lock. MAN, at that time, I had to print everything out and it just KILLED my 'time'. I tallked them into buying a memory 'card' that plugged into the back of the printer, then the printer cord plugged into it. That helped a lot.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have a usb portlock. But i did find that if i save to a file and then go to the file to print my pdf report things go alot smoother and it doesn't bog down the demon.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I am thinking of putting my printer on our network and see if it relieves the load on my computer. If it does not work I will try your ideas.

grandpaal56 it was not my intentions to hijack your post sorry
            sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
            THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
            4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment