transation of model prior to manual alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transation of model prior to manual alignment

I am of the opinion that it is a waste of time translating a cad model prior to a manual alignment since the tranlation can be handled in the alignment.
    I believe it is better not to translate the model, so, next time a revised model needs to be imported I don't have to remember how I translated the model last time and do it again to the new model after I import it.
    I was was wondering how many may agree/dissagree with this belief and why.
    Thanks.

I have only ever translated a model on one job and that was because the print referanced coordinated that were not in can position. Other than that I have never translated a model, but I haven't run into any other times that I would need to...
    Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Are you talking about transform cad model vs mach axis. If so some align to model trihedron others transform cad to however they want to pos one can go into f5 and do cad axis whatever it may be eq machine axis whatever it may be
      Last edited by AJHVW93; 10-10-2008, 11:56 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I haven't done it to the original but I have had to do it to a new model that has a different coordinate system than the one that made my program. If I didn't have the TRANSFORM function available as I do in the newer versions I would be waiting days to get enguneering to switch it (I only have Pro-E and that can't open SOLIDWORKS, weird I know seeing as SOLIDWORKS can open PRO-E).
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I never translate a model, I do ALL my work with the cad model as supplied by the customer. I work in auto-body position. Once you 'learn' how to leave it alone, it is QUICKER to do it without moving it since you cut out that step entirely.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

The only time I might use it is when the CAD came in, in the wrong coordinate rerference system (not aircraft/car) and I have no access to Catia/solid edge to output the model correctly.
            All other cases seem to be a total waste of time to me, that might just add to confusion and/or programming time in the future.
            I can establish just about any coordinate system I want to report in, in the alignment, aligning to whatever features I need to, as I did before the translation feature was added, whether it be part datums, machine, etc.
            Just seems to me the translation feature is just adding extra work for many.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew d. Hoedeman View Post
              i never translate a model, i do all my work with the cad model as supplied by the customer. I work in auto-body position. Once you 'learn' how to leave it alone, it is quicker to do it without moving it since you cut out that step entirely.
              1+++
              sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
              THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
              4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Originally posted by 12345 View Post
                The only time I might use it is when the CAD came in, in the wrong coordinate rerference system (not aircraft/car) and I have no access to Catia/solid edge to output the model correctly.
                All other cases seem to be a total waste of time to me, that might just add to confusion and/or programming time in the future.
                I can establish just about any coordinate system I want to report in, in the alignment, aligning to whatever features I need to, as I did before the translation feature was added, whether it be part datums, machine, etc.
                Just seems to me the translation feature is just adding extra work for many.
                Not to cast aspersions on other users, but there are a LOT of them out there that just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that X0 Y0 Z0 does NOT have to be on the part OR even measured to get the part aligned.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  Not to cast aspersions on other users, but there are a LOT of them out there that just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that X0 Y0 Z0 does NOT have to be on the part OR even measured to get the part aligned.
                  I know, I can not count how many times I have heard the zero xyz is out in space somewhere. How can I do an alignment on the part?
                  sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
                  THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
                  4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

I have done both translating and not translating the origin, both ways work just fine.
                    I don't think is a waste of time, v4+ offers an option to translating the origin in a click.
                    sigpicIt's corona time!
                    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment