Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual allignments

I am not using CAD....
    When I "program", I usually take 3 features and insert an alignment using these, and go into DCC mode.
    In DCC mode I just start plucking away at all the features I need, throw in an allignment, create anything else I need (sometimes creating things within the program as I go such as a series of circles to create one cylinder), and finally dimension it all.
    The question I have is: Does it make a difference in where I put in the second (DCC) alignment. If I understand things correctly, the first "manual" alignment lets the machine to know where things are at. Then, I do a second alignment or, "DCC alignment", to get a more accurate alignment.
    Is this all redundant? I was told I shouldn't have to do this, but my numbers do change, and it seems to make things more accurate. I just want to know if its ok, to probe everything, and then throw in an alignment towards the end, but before the dimensioning.
    J. Lusk
    v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
    Manual align/ NO CAD!
    sigpic

dcc ALIGNMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT after the manual alignment. do it always.

Comment

Manual alignment followed by DCC alignment...then continue with rest of the program.
      sigpicIt's corona time!
      737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Manual alignment followed by DCC alignment...then continue with rest of the program.
        ... so it would make a difference to be at the start of my dcc -vs.- at the end.
        J. Lusk
        v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
        Manual align/ NO CAD!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J. Lusk View Post
          I am not using CAD....
          When I "program", I usually take 3 features and insert an alignment using these, and go into DCC mode.
          In DCC mode I just start plucking away at all the features I need, throw in an allignment, create anything else I need (sometimes creating things within the program as I go such as a series of circles to create one cylinder), and finally dimension it all.
          The question I have is: Does it make a difference in where I put in the second (DCC) alignment. If I understand things correctly, the first "manual" alignment lets the machine to know where things are at. Then, I do a second alignment or, "DCC alignment", to get a more accurate alignment.
          Is this all redundant? I was told I shouldn't have to do this, but my numbers do change, and it seems to make things more accurate. I just want to know if its ok, to probe everything, and then throw in an alignment towards the end, but before the dimensioning.
          YES! It does make a difference. The DCC alignment WILL BE BETTER than the manual alignment (under some circumstances, the manual can easily be off by 0.7 x probe radius, generally when doing single points, but not only for single points). The DCC alignment SHOULD have correct vectors and will approch correctly for the touches. For manual single-point touches, Pcdmis will ONLY comp in ONE direction, the major axis of movement when taking the touch, it will NOT be correct! So, do the manual, followed immeadiuatly by the DCC so that you ARE aligned correctly. Also, just measureing the DCC features, then the rest of the features, THEN doing the alignment, THEN dimensioning will have ALL the probe comps done to the MANUAL alignment, not the DCC alignment. So...
          1) Man-AL features & the alignment
          2) DCC-AL features & the alignment
          3) Check
          4) Dimension
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by j. Lusk View Post
            i am not using cad....
            When i "program", i usually take 3 features and insert an alignment using these, and go into dcc mode.
            In dcc mode i just start plucking away at all the features i need, throw in an allignment, create anything else i need (sometimes creating things within the program as i go such as a series of circles to create one cylinder), and finally dimension it all.
            The question i have is: Does it make a difference in where i put in the second (dcc) alignment. If i understand things correctly, the first "manual" alignment lets the machine to know where things are at. Then, i do a second alignment or, "dcc alignment", to get a more accurate alignment.
            Is this all redundant? I was told i shouldn't have to do this, but my numbers do change, and it seems to make things more accurate. I just want to know if its ok, to probe everything, and then throw in an alignment towards the end, but before the dimensioning.
            along the lines of what you have stated. Manual align tells the machine were the part is at on the table. Dcc alignment is for the program itself.
            sigpic

Comment

You guys rock!!!! Thank you!!!
              J. Lusk
              v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
              Manual align/ NO CAD!
              sigpic

Comment

I take it a step farther, I like to lvl the primary before even measuring the secondary and tertiary, to make sure the vectors are normal to the primary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
                  I take it a step farther, I like to lvl the primary before even measuring the secondary and tertiary, to make sure the vectors are normal to the primary.
                  This whole topic brought up something that I have NOT liked for a long time, and I'll bet no one but me has thought about it.....

BEST FIT alignments.

When you do a best fit alignment, IMO, you should NOT then dimension any of the features used in it without re-measuring them. I mean, that ALIGNMENT could easily have shifted the part enough (non-prismatic parts) so that NONE of the points taken will even be close anymore, yet I'll bet no one does this, they do the best-fit, dimension, and go on. Bad, BAD I say! Spank-spank for that!
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

thats how I do it. I make a plane and and orgin 1st hen level to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                      This whole topic brought up something that I have NOT liked for a long time, and I'll bet no one but me has thought about it.....

BEST FIT alignments.

When you do a best fit alignment, IMO, you should NOT then dimension any of the features used in it without re-measuring them. I mean, that ALIGNMENT could easily have shifted the part enough (non-prismatic parts) so that NONE of the points taken will even be close anymore, yet I'll bet no one does this, they do the best-fit, dimension, and go on. Bad, BAD I say! Spank-spank for that!
                      MATT, I KNOW U WILL FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE I HAVE THOUGHT OF IT. dISCLAIMER : in no way is my mind twisted like Matt's I would like to get inside your brain man it must be one he77 of a fire storm(I mean that in a good way) Don't let it go to yur head
                      sigpic

Comment

oooooouuhhh

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                          thats how I do it. I make a plane and and orgin 1st hen level to it.
                          Amen. 1st hen is always the sweetest.

Comment

Originally posted by AJHVW93 View Post
                            MATT, I KNOW U WILL FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE I HAVE THOUGHT OF IT. dISCLAIMER : in no way is my mind twisted like Matt's I would like to get inside your brain man it must be one he77 of a fire storm(I mean that in a good way) Don't let it go to yur head
                            I have ONLY had to use best-fit twice (or maybe 3 times) and every time I used it, I did a copy/paste w/pattern and re-checked each and every point used in the BF alignment, even when it was 127 points. Glad to know I am NOT the only A-R, Twisted programmer out there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJHVW93 View Post
                              I'm thinking more like a smoldering, wet wood, camp fire.... Not exactly the 4 alarm Chicago burning you have alluded to.

Comment