checking part where stops were moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking part where stops were moved

I hope this ain't to lame of a question.

I thought I understood this, but comes to find out I don't. I think I know the answer, but wanted to be sure.

I have this big part I'm checking. I put stops on it, lined it up and checked it. The stops need to be tall and beefy because since the part is so heavy (around 275 lbs.) that when I push them against the stops I had, the stops would bend.

I had one of the guys in the shop to make me some stops. They worked better. The next part is lined up the same way, but now it is a slightly different place than the first part. I was thinking that no matter where I put the part, even if I had no stops, that all I had to do was to line up the part and the rest of the program would work. (dah)

I now noticed that all my hit points are from the previous setup and that I had to basically start over with the part.

After all this said, my question is-
    If I have repeated jobs, do the stops need to be about right on the money from the last time I checked part?
    Is there anyway in the program where I can go to have all the previous hits match the existing part if the stops have been moved.

Hope that makes since. It may be a no brainer, but I just wanted to be clear.

Thanks

Your program should start with some manual touches and a manual alignment, followed by a remeasure of the main datums in DCC mode and a DCC alignment. If this is the case, then all you need to do in terms of stops is make sure the part is aligned to the machine axis. Depending on what types of features you are inspecting, the alignment to machine axis can be pretty loose or critical. (i.e. if you are probing deep into the part you will shank-out if the part is not aligned closely.)
    However, if your part is square to the machine axis, it can be anywhere on the table that will allow the probe access to all features to be measured if you use the manual and DCC alignment method. If you have a saved external alignment that recall at the start of the program, then you must position the part in the exact same position every time. HTH
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I run a lot of parts with stops.. Like Wes said do a manual alignment first then DCC . Alwasy on the first piece after that I turn the manual part of the program off and just run from the dcc section
      sigpic
      if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller
        I run a lot of parts with stops.. Like Wes said do a manual alignment first then DCC . Alwasy on the first piece after that I turn the manual part of the program off and just run from the dcc section
        I do the same as Mr Miller using Marked Sets, one for manual aligning and one for DCC measuring.
        Perry
        B&S Mistral
        3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment