Parallelism, Perpendicularity, and Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallelism, Perpendicularity, and Angles

Is there any logic in how to report out parallelism, perpendicularity and angles? Are they plane related, if so, how are you to tell which way to look at it. Normally it is a " you have to see it to be able to report it ", but it doesn't seem to work that way on a few of my parts. I will end up choosing all my planes and all the different choices to get a number that looks right. Then when it is ran on-line, I get a perfect 0º or a perfect 45º, etc.. Is there a rule of thumb to follow? Gets a little tiring going through all those choices.
    sigpic

B&S ADVANTAGE 12-22-10, EXCEL 9-15-9, ETC.
    PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

I'm no shure if I understand you right, but when you tolerance parallel or perpendicularity you need to select 2 features. The second feature will be the datum. As far as angles there are many ways to get what you want, you can tolerance from the alignment to get an angle. You can tolerance from the x,y,z axis (2d,3d) also in the (edit,preferance,setup,dimension) you can change angle reporting to 0-180 or 0-360 from the current alignment/axis. 0 is at x+ counter clockwise to 360. You can also tolerance angles between features (2d,3d) line to line circle to circle ect. I will most of the time tolerance angles 3d to one of the axis. This sometimes requires multiple alignments so I can get my x+ set to 0 for the next angle that I want. Hope this help.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Here is an example of what I get. Some will report out 90º but the measured is 180º(?), mind you this is off-line, I'm not getting this at all. I can go through and choose all the options, but there has to be a common sense approach to this.
      sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

Sorry to say I can't read the picture you sent it looks like a bad fax.
        Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Another example is the 3 lower perpendicularitys, If I run this part on line, I know that one of these will report out a perfect .000 everytime. I would like to know how do you know which work plane, if needed (which I think you do), to choose while working off-line.
          sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

Vondy,
            I always look at it as "which axis is pointing at me in the view that I am trying to get my dimension from." See if that helps you
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rebeldude
              Vondy,
              I always look at it as "which axis is pointing at me in the view that I am trying to get my dimension from." See if that helps you
              If I have one axis in the Z+ and the other in the X+, which one do I point at me and in which direction should the other be pointing and does the work plane matter? If it does how is it looking at me?
              sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

It looks like in your first picture you are in the +Z when you need to be in the + or - Y axis work coordinate to tolerance that perpendicularity of 90°.
                sigpic

Comment

Plane 1 to Plane -A- needs to be measured in the Y-axis workplane. You need to think of your angles on a 2d basis and be in whatever axis you would have facing you if you were measuring with a protractor. Luckily you're not dealing with compound angles so this shoud be fairly easy.
                  sigpic

Comment

That is correct Djayne. Vondy, in that picture the "Y-" is the axis facing you. Remember, you dont point them at you, but find out which one is pointing at you. In that picture you can clearly see the "Z" and the "X". Therefore, the one that is hard to see is the "Y", because in this case, it is aimed right at you. Next you need to just figuire "according to the trihedron law, which ( + or -) is aimed at you. Look at the "Z" and see which way is +. Look at the "X" and see which way is +. Now think about that and you'll know which way is "Y+" and which way is "Y-". You are currently facing the "Y-" side of the part. Does that help or just make it more confusing? Sorry if I confused the issue at hand
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote=rebeldude]

I think what was throwing me off so much was that I made these other 20+ programs and we didn't run them until a few months later and I had all these bad results. I usually go with the concept that you have to see the angle., perp., or paral. to be able to report it out. But these parts just seemed to mess with my mind in that they didn't seem to go with this reasoning or I just mistakenly entered something opposing to this. I had to go into each program and decipher my own madness in creating it and then figure out 'on-line' by clicking on anything that gave me a dimension that was near to what I wanted. Not very professional way of doing it, but was in crunch time and had to get results. I which I would have been able to take my time and see what was logical, that way it would be helping me more now then messing with my head. I am doubting my results and I shouldn't be doing that. I appreciate your assistance in this matter. I guess I'll still go with this concept until I run into more controversial parts. It seems like what I was doing was correct, I was just showing all the basis and was hoping for a logical approach to solving these, which you seem to have given me.
                      sigpic

PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

Working Planes,Also you can view them as which axes you're using
                        If you're using xy you're working plane is Z,If you're using ZX working plane is
                        Y and lastly ZY working plane is X.Now just be carful if the working plane is + or -.

Comment