Surface Point versus Vector Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Point versus Vector Point

What are the advantages of Surface Points versus Vector Points?
    sigpicThanks a Millionth

More hit data all depends on what you are trying to accomplish I perfer vector points any day there is times you need to use surface points. JC
    sigpic
    Jeremy Cavender
    CMM Metrology Engineer
    PC-Dmis 3.2/2010/MR2

Comment

Originally posted by JCLASTOUTLAW View Post
      More hit data all depends on what you are trying to accomplish I perfer vector points any day there is times you need to use surface points. JC
      There is ABSOLUTLY NO difference between a VECTOR point and a SURFACE point WITH NO SURFACE SAMPLE hits. They are the same. IMO, the surface point is for points that you have no true data for (xyz or ijk). The use of the 3 sample hits calculates the REAL vector so that Pcdmis can comp the probe correctly. You might also want to use them for excessivly tight tolerance, like on the order of +/-0.010 MICRONS (not thousandths).
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Have they fixed the Surface Point bug in the 4.X releases? Surface Points didn't keep the thickness settings from one run to the next and I hadn't heard that it was fixed although it's been long enough that I suspect that it has been.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          There is ABSOLUTLY NO difference between a VECTOR point and a SURFACE point WITH NO SURFACE SAMPLE hits. They are the same. IMO, the surface point is for points that you have no true data for (xyz or ijk). The use of the 3 sample hits calculates the REAL vector so that Pcdmis can comp the probe correctly. You might also want to use them for excessivly tight tolerance, like on the order of +/-0.010 MICRONS (not thousandths).
          So the diff. is you can have sample hits with surface points vrs vector this would have more hit data. But as Matt has stated if you do not use sample hits there is no diff. depends how they are used. JC
          sigpic
          Jeremy Cavender
          CMM Metrology Engineer
          PC-Dmis 3.2/2010/MR2

Comment

Originally posted by JCLASTOUTLAW View Post
            So the diff. is you can have sample hits with surface points vrs vector this would have more hit data. But as Matt has stated if you do not use sample hits there is no diff. depends how they are used. JC
            That's a little mis-leading, there will not be more hit data, that is still only ONE point from a vector point and one point from a surface point. you will not get 4 points from a surface point that is using 3 sample hits.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Vector points will approach the part always from the nominal vector every time.
              Surface points, with surface hits, will adjust the approach vector normal to the surface depending on the vector of the surface.
              sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
                Surface points, with surface hits, will adjust the approach vector normal to the surface depending on the vector of the surface.
                Only if you've taken a minimum of 3 sample hits. It will then correct for a calculated approach vector based on the sample hits. Surface points will take approx 4 times as long to run as vector points IF you use the sample hits.

Bill

Comment

This q. was brought up so many times.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew d. Hoedeman View Post
                    there is absolutly no difference between a vector point and a surface point with no surface sample hits. They are the same. Imo, the surface point is for points that you have no true data for (xyz or ijk). The use of the 3 sample hits calculates the real vector so that pcdmis can comp the probe correctly. You might also want to use them for excessivly tight tolerance, like on the order of +/-0.010 microns (not thousandths).
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                      This q. was brought up so many times.
                      What's your point Mikey? Should we quit answering this question because it's been asked so many times or should we continue to help people that come here looking for answers and assistance?

I'm just wondering what your point is.

Bill

Comment

and now for a little history lesson.

Years ago when the controllers couldn't drive a good "vector", there was a difference between them. Surface points always had sample hits and vector points did not. Vector points were wuicker to execute, but not usually as accurate. If you wanted accuracy in vector compensation, you would sacrifice the time to use the surface point. These both came out of a standard (from GM originally, I believe) that included circle definitions as well, but not much more.

Now this whole sheet metal philosophy includes many more features, and sample hits are fully configurable in all features. And since the machines can pretty well drive straight vectors, sample hits are less often needed, and the difference between Vector points and Surface points is becoming more clouded.

Comment

Well, my point is this: it could be looked up in the search, b/c there is prob. about 15 threads about this.

Comment

Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
                            Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                            Only if you've taken a minimum of 3 sample hits. It will then correct for a calculated approach vector based on the sample hits. Surface points will take approx 4 times as long to run as vector points IF you use the sample hits.

Bill

You are correct.
                            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                              Well, my point is this: it could be looked up in the search, b/c there is prob. about 15 threads about this.

Well then, smart guy, how am I supposed to pad my post count then? Hmmmmmm
                              sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment