Machine speed and touch speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine speed and touch speed?

Yea, I know it's somewhere in the threads, but I have looked for an hour and have not found what people generally run their machines at and their touch speeds. I generally run "move speed " at 90% and touch speed at .09-2.0%.
    Is there a general rule of thumb equation to what you should move and touch at? I know it all depends on where your at on the part and what your performing. My thoughts are what you can get by with , without losing accuracy. Just wanted to get some input from you guru's. My machine is a B&S "One" machine. V4.1. I will say this! When I have move speeds set at 75-90, the machine jerks enough to almost move my fixture. I have been through this with B&S, as they have given me some different.dll files to help compensate for the inertia impact. Do any of you get this type of jerking motion?
    Appreciate it. Thanks again
    I don't feel tardy!sigpic
    B&S "One" V4.2
    Discovery D-12 V4.2

Sounds like your acceleration is way to high to me. Thats what I've found usually causes jerking and false probe tirggers.

Move speed and touch speed. As long as you CALIBRATE your probe angles at the exact same speeds as you measure at, you can run it up to whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, I don't push it. Move speed 80% touch speed 1% for probe calibrations and measurements.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill **********; 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

It also depends on the max speed of the CMM... 1% on a new Global is different than 1% on an old Xcel. Bill is right, you have to use the same speed during calibration and measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
        Sounds like your acceleration is way to high to me. Thats what I've found usually causes jerking and false probe tirggers.

Move speed and touch speed. As long as you CALIBRATE your probe angles at the exact same speeds as you measure at, you can run it up to whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, I don't push it. Move speed 80% touch speed 1% for probe calibrations and measurements.

Bill
        Similiar to Bill. Touchspeed of 75 % though. As Bill said, calibration should be done at the same speed, prehits and retracts as you run your program.
        When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
        sigpic

Comment

Has anybody any collaborating data on different touch/movespeeds in program against probe calibrations?
          Bristol Citysigpic
          Home of the Reds

Comment

I use 40% move and 2% touch but I don't check machined parts all cast
            sigpic
            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Depends on what tips im using 05mm x 20mm i will use low touch speed for deflection .5
              sigpic

Comment

It depends on the machine. We have a DEA gantry that I run at 100% MS and 8% TS because is runs really slow but we also have an Excel 7-10-7 UHA that I run at 40% MS and 1.25% TS because it is so fast. You will have to do your own comparisons on your machine to find what is best for you. Also, calibrate at the same speed that you intend to run parts.
                sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

I check machined parts and cast in this LK-G80 CMM retrofitted with pcdmis, I use 60% speed and 1.5 touch speed.

(1.5 TS is what LK recommended).

Machine is not as fast as a global, but just perfect for checking the forum
                  sigpicIt's corona time!
                  737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

I use 40% move speed and 1 touch speed on all my probes except for 1mm. 1mm I run at .5 touch speed

Comment

When I was in the PCDMIS training class, the instructor told us to switch our settings to mm/s instead of %. Like many people here have said, each machine has a different maximum speed. 90% on your new machine is much different than on your old machine. I run my SP25 head with 125mm move speed and 3mm touch speed. However, I haven't been able to find a Renishaw or Hexagon document that says what the max/min/safe speeds are for any style of probe head or machine. When I was setting up my probe rack, I emailed Renishaw to find out what the proper speed was - the reply was no more than 15%. 15% is a pretty frightening speed on my machine, when doing a tip change. So I switched to 15mm/s, which isn't all that fast, but not so slow that it affects run time.

I'm also a hypocrite because my second machine is set to % instead of mm/s, but it's been that way for YEARS and we use a lot of repeat programs so I'm afraid to change it.
                      Last edited by NMC_CMM; 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM.
                      Global Image PH10M, SP25, FCR25-L6 CAD++ 2019R1SP10
                      Global Image PH10M+, SP25, FCR25-L6 CAD++ 2019R1SP10
                      MicroExel pfx uha PH6, TP200 CAD++2019R1 SP10

Comment

Like everyone else has said, it is different for the various machines and controllers that are out there. The only sure fire way to find out is to calibrate a probe build at one speed and measure a known artifact at the same speed. Play with the touchspeed in the calibrate and measurement until you get your best speed and results.

We've got 4 PFx and they run pretty good at 40% and 2%. A subcontractor has a newer Global Advantage and the fisrt thing he does is cut the touchspeed to 1.2% or his results are all over the place and won't repeat running with the 2% I have set in the programs.
                        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
                          Like everyone else has said, it is different for the various machines and controllers that are out there. The only sure fire way to find out is to calibrate a probe build at one speed and measure a known artifact at the same speed. Play with the touchspeed in the calibrate and measurement until you get your best speed and results.

We've got 4 PFx and they run pretty good at 40% and 2%. A subcontractor has a newer Global Advantage and the fisrt thing he does is cut the touchspeed to 1.2% or his results are all over the place and won't repeat running with the 2% I have set in the programs.
                          ALSO, just as an exercise, calibrate at your 'standard' settings no matter WHAT they are, then go and take some measurements. Program the same point a dozen times (new ID's of course) then give each one a different touch speed and you will be able to see what the effect is when you change the touch speed. Use 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 for your touch speeds, I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST that you do this with the probe NOT driving 'straight' into the part, if you program an UP/DOWN point, use a 45 or 60 degree A angle, if you program a point 'left-to-right', use an up/down angle. If you go too fast with a perp-tip, you can cause damage WHEn you hit too fast.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

touch speeds

Just like everybody is saying 1\4 to 1\2 of available move speed unless
                            your machine is lightning fast. You can always speed it up after your really comfortable with the program. Generally speaking the slower the touch speed
                            the better the measurement. I start with large prehit and retracts then bring these down when I feel it's ok.

Some people here might not agree but I usually do 40%MS 1%TS and if the part has tenths or micron callouts I slow it down with the jogbox. Then you
                            aren't running it at calibration speed though but it works pretty good for me.

Comment

I run 100% with touch speed of 1.5% all the time and I have tolerances as low as .0006" never an issue. You can put in a motion error
                              ONERROR/UNEXPECTED_HIT,ON
                              sigpic
                              Jeremy Cavender
                              CMM Metrology Engineer
                              PC-Dmis 3.2/2010/MR2

Comment