Creating a surface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a surface?

I need to take the axis of a cylinder and pierce it through a curved surface for a true position. The problem that I have is, I only have Cad not Cad++, is there more than one way to create a surface? I have tried points and i get a message that i need a scan with more than 1 line in it. I can't get a scan with more than one line in "Cad" Version.
    right now i had to create a plane around the cylinder and pierce my cylinder throught the plane, but I know this is creating a small amount of error and I do not have alot of tolerance to begin with.
    Global FX 7-10-7
    Global Silver 7-10-7
    Microval PFX
    PC-DMIS 2012 mr1

If I remember it can only be done with a PATCH SCAN.

Comment

That's what I thought. I need more software (cad++). I was hoping there was a way around it.

thanks
      Mike
      Global FX 7-10-7
      Global Silver 7-10-7
      Microval PFX
      PC-DMIS 2012 mr1

Comment

Do you know what the nominal is for the pierce point?
        Do this:
        1) create a offset pt at your nominal
        2) go to construct , plane - click perpendicular, highlight your cylinder, than highlight your nominal - and click create.
        This will create a plane perp to your cyl at your nominal.
        3) Next, intersect your cyl and your new perp-plane.
        There is your pt.
        HTH
        Kevin
        RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
        sigpic

Comment

Is your suface a plane?. If it is you can just measure a plane around the cylinder and create a pierce point with the cylinder and plane.
          PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Also, the SURFACE CREATION in Pcdmis if very clunky and can take a horrible amount of time. I can take the same data, export it, import it into a cad system, create the surfaces, export them, import them back into Pcdmis in much less time and with better results than I can using Pcdmis.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

it is a curved surface. the position is called out as normal to the curved surface.
              I think kev's idea will work. Im not sure it is "exactly" correct but is better than anything I have come-up with or have the ability to do without scanning.
              Thank's Kev. I was not sure the best way to do this
              Global FX 7-10-7
              Global Silver 7-10-7
              Microval PFX
              PC-DMIS 2012 mr1

Comment