Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe File issues with XP?

Dear Friends,

I am having a problem with probe files being deleted. We use XP and different profiles for each operator. Has anyone ever noticed a conflict here? I am trying to nail down a root cause, is it software or operators?
    hmmm?

-Gabriel
    sigpic

I don't believe probe files are specific to an operator. We have two different operators, use XP and have never experienced this problem. I would try loging in under each user and make sure that the default file for probe files is the same for all users.

Comment

Yes, I suspected it may be operator error.
      Like, "Thanks for hosing months of data!"

that's a programmers life i guess.
      -Gabriel
      sigpic

Comment

Do your operators use "Operator mode" or just regular programming mode?

I would be suprised if operator mode allowed them access to probe files.

We don't use operator mode as it has proven to be more trouble than it is worth with just two operators (me being one of them)

Comment

Operator mode would not allow them access to the probe files THRU PC-DMIS. Unfortunatly if the operator is computer "literate" there are ways to get there. Operator mode will only allow the execution of a created marked set.
          Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

There are a number of potential causes here. With WindowsXP, if the people who use PCDMIS are not an 'Administrator' type of account then it can cause file sharing problems with probes between different users. Also, with SET SEARCH PATH, this is universal for every user. If the Probe Directory is pointing to C:\PCDMISW and someone unchecks this and chooses SEARCH CURRENT PATH, of course, PCDMIS can't see the probe file anymore because it is looking in a different location. Plus, this setting requires Admin rights to save as well. So, when PCDMIS closes and you are not an Admin, the next time you start PCDMIS, the SET SEARCH PATH is back to the original setting. Maybe some users are Admins and others are not.

Just a couple of ideas to consider,

Stu

Comment