Edge Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Points

Anyone use them? Since I got my new machine, (which is supposed to faster ) it executes an edge point very slow. I do one sample hit on the top of part then the edge point which is usually .030 from top surface. It's like it pauses in between the two hits. Anyone know why this is?
    ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

The only time that I had that issue was when the cad model was extreemly large, and the program equally as long
    sigpic
    "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
      The only time that I had that issue was when the cad model was extreemly large, and the program equally as long

They are large parts. But it doesn't do it with Auto Circles or anything else.

Comment

I have similar problem with variables, when it get's to them machine sometimes stops to think for a second or to and goes on again.

Comment

I use them always, here is a hint if you are checking a large part you may want to use reference features if you are in platic or stampings.

And if you want to check to see if it is the cad size, close the program and delete the .cad file and rerun it. you can always re-import the CAD or you can just rename the .cad file and then rename it back
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
            I use them always, here is a hint if you are checking a large part you may want to use reference features if you are in platic or stampings.

And if you want to check to see if it is the cad size, close the program and delete the .cad file and rerun it. you can always re-import the CAD or you can just rename the .cad file and then rename it back

Reference features? Not doing plastic or stampings, FYI.

I'll give that a shot next time i'm on the machine.

Comment

what is reference features?

Comment

References
                References refer to data members of other objects in a part program. References use the ID of an object in the part program followed by a dot and an extension that refers to the data member of the object.

Example: If CIRCLE1 were the name of a measured circle in the part program, CIRCLE1.X would refer to the measured value of the X component of CIRCLE1. All references are evaluated in part coordinates relative to the current alignment.
                sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
                THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
                4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

OK, what is the benefit of this? How would this help JKB_mcg?

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                    Anyone use them? Since I got my new machine, (which is supposed to faster ) it executes an edge point very slow. I do one sample hit on the top of part then the edge point which is usually .030 from top surface. It's like it pauses in between the two hits. Anyone know why this is?
                    Are you using RMEAS (relative measure) in your edge points?
                    sigpicIt's corona time!
                    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                      OK, what is the benefit of this? How would this help JKB_mcg?
                      My parts are usually very large and are usually pretty warped. So, to be sure I'm getting a consistent z depth on all my hits it takes a point on top of the part next to the edge to get that zero and then goes down the desired depth. Instead of using the alignment Z zero.

Comment

I know how edge point work, just never heard of a Reference feature term in CMM world.

In molding edge point is a must feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                          Are you using RMEAS (relative measure) in your edge points?
                          Never heard of it. You sure you don't mean REMEASURE?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                            I know how edge point work, just never heard of a Reference feature term in CMM world.

In molding edge point is a must feature.
                            Oh ok my bad. I don't know what they are either.

Comment

Originally posted by jkb_mcg View Post
                              Never heard of it. You sure you don't mean REMEASURE?

Thanks Roberto that is what I was refering too. They change the wording on it always. In V4.3 it is a box called Relative to:

Now in platics and stampings it is good to use because unlike a solid piece of metal plastic and thin stampings bend and droop due to gravitiy so the part could be good but since in the sides are sagging the edge point could be a couple of mils below where it should be ( target location) so if you if there is a hole near by and you use sample hits and say that is lower then where it should be the software will adjust for the hieght if you tell it to use that axis. It is really good for hole patterns too say that they are out of location but one you find them and use relative too it will give you cleaner hits. Basically what is does is you the feature you use as a new alignment for the that hit only. Got it?
                              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment