Form & Location Lineprofile No Basic Dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form & Location Lineprofile No Basic Dim

I have a customer telling me I need to check form & location on a line profile that has no basic dimensions back to the datum. We have been reporting form only for the last 5 years and now it is an issue. How do I report form & location without a basic dimension for the location?
    DeWain Hodge

Do you have the CAD??
    sigpic

Brain- Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
    Pinky- I think so, but where will we find an open tattoo parlor at this time of night?

Comment

No CAD.
      DeWain Hodge

Comment

Unless you have nominal XYZIJK data for each point/touch, you can NOT do F&L unless you choose a master part to get teh data from. For that matter, I do not know how you were able to do FORM only either, it also requires XYZIJK nominals, but then it does a 'best fit' alignment to report form only.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Form only is like flatness or straightness. Form and location is what you want but you need the nominals. You need to talk to your engineers and get that data from them.
          I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
          PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Well, what do you know about the part in question?

Post a drawing?
            PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.1 SP4

Comment

If you have no BASIC dimension, report you're measurement as REFERENCE ONLY!

GD&T requires BASIC dimension.

Ask for an engineering review to change the print and add a BASIC dimension.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
                Well, what do you know about the part in question?

Post a drawing?
                Here is a rough sketch.

The 17.2/16.8 is the intersection of the back ramp & the 0.5° ramp.
                Last edited by DeWain Hodge; 05-13-2010, 03:30 PM.
                DeWain Hodge

Comment

Trig out a few nominals. You have the angle and the nominal to the intersection of the the flat and the angled surface. Should be a piece of cake.
                  B & S Global Performance 7-10-7
                  PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
                  PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Ahern View Post
                    Trig out a few nominals. You have the angle and the nominal to the intersection of the the flat and the angled surface. Should be a piece of cake.
                    +1

Are you lacking the length of the surface that carries the callout or did you (un)intentionally leave that out? You might need that, so look for it on the drawing.
                    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.1 SP4

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
                      +1

Are you lacking the length of the surface that carries the callout or did you (un)intentionally leave that out? You might need that, so look for it on the drawing.
                      There is no length to the intersect on the print.
                      DeWain Hodge

Comment

You don't need the length. The intersection of the flat and the angled surface acts as the vertex of the 5 degree right triangle that you will use to calculate your nominals. Just set (scribe on the part if on the bench) a couple of arbitrary inspections points/lines, say at .050, .100, and .150 from the vertex. On the cmm, create the vertex using an instersection point from 2 surfaces. At 5 degrees and the incerements in my example, the trigged side opposite is .0044 at .050, subtract that from the 17.0 nominal to get a calculated nominal of 16.9956.

This is just an example. I don't know how wide the angled surface is, so spread out your arbitrary locations to cover most of the surface.
                        B & S Global Performance 7-10-7
                        PC DMIS CAD ++ V4.2 MR1
                        PH10MQ SP25M

Comment

I don't think it possible to get any more info from he's given us.

Comment