cone angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cone angle

How would you measure the angle of the face of a cone in relation to an adjacent plane? I'm getting a close but no cigar (48 deg. -vs- 50 deg.) When I turn on the graphics, its a very large ring around the whole part that appears to be the trajectory angle of the entire cone. I just want the side of the cone to the face. Perhaps I just take a line on the cone's face, then a line along the adjacent plane, and measure the angle? This only gives me a result for one segment of the whole cone, but its a turning operation, and shouldn't make a difference, should it?
    J. Lusk
    v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
    Manual align/ NO CAD!
    sigpic

You want the half angle - like a chamfer angle to a face?
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

yes.
      J. Lusk
      v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
      Manual align/ NO CAD!
      sigpic

Comment

Measuring with two lines works and it gives you the right answer, just make sure you are one center with the cone or hole first.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

THANK YOU CMM GUY!!!!!!!
          Ok, since I'm manually programming/ no cad, I was racking my brains on why I was getting a smaller angle than when I checked it with a simple protractor. Soo... when you said "make sure I am on center", well, there was a eureka moment! I've been working on this since last Friday, and couldn't figure out what was going on. This also was a lesson on allignment. You see, my x axis is along a line that is skewed from the machine's x axis. So, when I took my two lines along the right side of the part to make the angle, I was acually about a 1/8 of a turn from my true x axis. I took another set of hits as close to y-zero as I could get, and then changed them to exactly y-zero in the program. I re-ran my measurments, and BINGO, there was my 51 degrees I was looking for!!! So CHEERS TO YOU for that trigger!
          J. Lusk
          v Pro 4.2 MR1 release.
          Manual align/ NO CAD!
          sigpic

Comment