Probe Tip > CREATING > Probe.dat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Tip > CREATING > Probe.dat

I need to create and use a cylinder tip with a flat bottom. I need to be able to touch on flat bottom and on diameter side. I added this tip to probe.dat file for a 3mm diameter x 40mm total length:

ITEM:TIP3BY40MMSHNK M2
    begintip
    ribcount 10
    color 142 142 142
    cylinder 0 0 0 0 0 -3 3
    cone 0 0 -3 3 0 0 -10 2
    color 255 0 0
    cylinder 0 0 -10 0 0 -40 3
    hotspot 0 0 -40 0 0 1 3 30 shank
    endtip

Problem is I cannout get tip to work on flat bottom and on diameter side with one entry. When I change the hotspot 3 to 0 it works on the flat bottom but goes to center of diameter not side and when I have it as entered it touchs on diameter side but it is 3mm above the hit in Z.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary Fitzgerald > Big Red
    sigpicThanks a Millionth

I am generally against cylinder probes because they must be absolutely perpendicular to the feature or they give bad data. I have never heard of a flat bottom cylinder probe before and I would not trust it. If you must use a cylinder and take hits with the bottom why wouldn't you want a radius? Seems you are just inviting Mr. Murphy to have a big party on your CMM table. Most probes are spheres because that ensures a single point of contact and helps to isolate the vector of the hit. With a flat bottom tip you could easily be taking a hit with one edge of that bottom diameter but the software/CMM would be recording it as if it were a hit at the center of the diameter. I do not even want to think about what it could do to your vectors. I do hope this helps.
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

You can do this, and if you CAN do this will depend on WHAT you are doing. Basically, you can NOT use this for TIGHT tolerance, but this is what I do:

1) Use just plain old extensions
      2) Use your mic's and get a good diameter reading, and check it a lot to see roundness
      3) Create the tip in the probe.dat file like you did
      4) DO NOT CALIBRATE THE TIP

You will only be able to use it a 0-0, but your Z to Z values from touch-off to reading will be right and your XY to XY will also be right. There error creeps in for the probe comp in the XY directions since rarely will a probe actually calibrate at the size it mic's at, simply because of the ahrdware in the CMM. I have done this when I had to digitize flat blank, it is MUCH cheaper than a ceramic probe, will not shatter like one, and for my application (flat blanks) if I am within 0.010" it is good enough since the data then will need to be manipulated to make a smooth, easy to produce blank for a die.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment