X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truncated cone

Good Evening.

My problem is this.
    I have to measure the diameter of a truncated cone. I do not have much of the cone to measure. My idea was to measure two circles at different heights and construct a cone, measure a plane, intersect the plane with the cone, and get a diameter, easy eh? No. Can anybody tell me how I constuct the cone from the two measured circles? Blowing here!
    Bristol Citysigpic
    Home of the Reds

Have you tried (if possible) to create the cone using three circles instead of two?
    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Depending on your accuracy needs and the angle of the cone you may be getting too much cosine error by measuring as two (or three) separate circles.
      If you measure it either as a 'Measured' or 'Auto' cone the compensation vectors for each hit are at least theoretically correct.

Eric

Comment

Measure several rows of vector points then construct a cone from those points.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

or just measure it as several standard measured points and construct a best fit re-comp cone
          Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Thank You.

That gave me a good answer, but..................
            Can I break out the XYZIJK's of an auto-circle and paste them as points?
            I once thought I heard of some scripting that did this??

Virgil.
            Bristol Citysigpic
            Home of the Reds

Comment

measuring circles to make a cone is NOT a workable solution, the probe comp for the circles will only be done in 2-D whereas the cone requires 3-D comp. You can get the angle that way, but NOT any correct sizes.

Reference the attached picture. The GREEN lines indicate the actual cone. The BLUE lines indicate where the CENTER POINT of the probe will be when making touches on the surface of the cone (yes, all data STARTS from the center point of the ball). The HORIZONTAL RED line would be a circle measured on the cone and the two verticle red lines indicate where the COMP will be when applied when measuring the circle, as you can see, those red intersections are NOT on the actual cone surface.

sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I'm not sure that was what he was asking Matthew...

I think this is not related to the cone measurement, do you want just the xyzijk's of the individual points in an outo circle?

If so you could you assignments/expression builder to access them (time consuming) of access them through script - but I don't have the code that you'd need to hand and don't have time to produce it.

if you could be clearer in your question that would help.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
                  I'm not sure that was what he was asking Matthew...

I think this is not related to the cone measurement, do you want just the xyzijk's of the individual points in an outo circle?

If so you could you assignments/expression builder to access them (time consuming) of access them through script - but I don't have the code that you'd need to hand and don't have time to produce it.

if you could be clearer in your question that would help.
                  OP was talking about measuring 2 circles and a plane, constructing a CONE with the circles, then constructing an intersection circle of the cone and plane to get a size. It will not work due to the probe comp of the circles, that was what my post was in reference to, the intersected diameter will not be right.
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yeah I know, was just saying I think he's moved on from that.

If so I guess he should start a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
                      Yeah I know, was just saying I think he's moved on from that.

If so I guess he should start a new thread.
                      Well, he started it AFTER I went home, but still, the OP idea needed to be addressed before someone else said, "HEY, that sounds like a good way to do it!" A little prevention is worth a TON of re-work, knowwhatI'msaying?
                      sigpic

Comment

I have moved on, albeit a little bit, I was just wondering how you can break out the hits in a auto-measured circle, or any other auto-feature. Pretty sure someone had a script to do this, maybe a year or two back this might have been. Crikey, don't time fly.....
                        Bristol Citysigpic
                        Home of the Reds

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil UK View Post
                          I have moved on, albeit a little bit, I was just wondering how you can break out the hits in a auto-measured circle, or any other auto-feature. Pretty sure someone had a script to do this, maybe a year or two back this might have been. Crikey, don't time fly.....
                          you can do it with code in a feature:

Code:
                          A1         =AUTO/VECTOR POINT,SHOWALLPARAMS = YES
                                      THEO/M1.HIT[1].X,M1.HIT[1].Y,M1.HIT[1].Z,M1.HIT[1].I,M1.HIT[1].J,M1.HIT[1].K
                                      ACTL/6.477,68.275,-0.001,0,0,1
                                      TARG/M1.HIT[1].X,M1.HIT[1].Y,M1.HIT[1].Z,M1.HIT[1].I,M1.HIT[1].J,M1.HIT[1].K
                                      THEO_THICKNESS = 0,RECT,SNAP = YES,$
                                      AUTO MOVE = NO,DISTANCE = 150
                          This will take a point at the XYZ location of the FIRST hit of feature M1 and will use the IJK (vector) of that hit
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil UK View Post
                            This may work in 3.7 and below, I don't know.

I just tried it in PC-DMIS 4.3mr1 RC and it worked. I will assume that it will work in all versions below that.
                            (Matt enter comments here__________________________________)
                            Last edited by JamesMannes; 08-04-2008, 07:58 AM.
                            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                              measuring circles to make a cone is NOT a workable solution, the probe comp for the circles will only be done in 2-D whereas the cone requires 3-D comp. You can get the angle that way, but NOT any correct sizes.

Reference the attached picture. The GREEN lines indicate the actual cone. The BLUE lines indicate where the CENTER POINT of the probe will be when making touches on the surface of the cone (yes, all data STARTS from the center point of the ball). The HORIZONTAL RED line would be a circle measured on the cone and the two verticle red lines indicate where the COMP will be when applied when measuring the circle, as you can see, those red intersections are NOT on the actual cone surface.

[ATTACH]3319[/ATTACH]
                              I dont understand why using recomp wont ignore the original point vectors and calculate the cone correctly. I thought that was the whole purpose of recomp'ing points for newly constructed features.
                              Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment