How is a cylinders location calculated?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How is a cylinders location calculated?

    Let's say I am measuring the location of a cylinder. When the dimensioning is done is the measurement taken from the center point along the axis and length of the cylinder? Man that sounds weird.

    How about this.

    I need to report the X- Y coordinates of the center of a cylinder. What's the best way to do this? I am working off of a CAD model if that helps.
    CMM Programmer
    Jackson Michigan
    Mistral 7.7.5
    4.3MR2

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sl33stak View Post
    Let's say I am measuring the location of a cylinder. When the dimensioning is done is the measurement taken from the center point along the axis and length of the cylinder? Man that sounds weird.

    How about this.

    I need to report the X- Y coordinates of the center of a cylinder. What's the best way to do this? I am working off of a CAD model if that helps.
    I would try to intersect the cylinder with a plane, you can do a measured plane or a nominal (non-measured, constructed) plane. This will eliminate any doubt as to WHERE the other 2 numbers are coming from.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you dinemsion the cylinder with TP, you can report from both ends of the cylinder.
      Lately, it occurs to me
      What a long, strange trip it's been.

      2017 R1 (Offline programming)

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Matt. What I did to be safe was measured a plane on each side of the cylinder, then constructed a point using the cylinder and the two planes. (center of cylinder ). I then dimensioned that point. Is that a fair way of checking the location of the center of the cylinder? No rush on this one, just trying something for the CNC guys.
        CMM Programmer
        Jackson Michigan
        Mistral 7.7.5
        4.3MR2

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sl33stak View Post
          Thanks Matt. What I did to be safe was measured a plane on each side of the cylinder, then constructed a point using the cylinder and the two planes. (center of cylinder ). I then dimensioned that point. Is that a fair way of checking the location of the center of the cylinder? No rush on this one, just trying something for the CNC guys.
          That sounds like what I would do, however, I would do it with a single plane, if possible. That lets me know absolutly where I am getting the numbers from. If it is the face of the surface or something else. Why 2 planes? Why not just take points on both sides all as a single plane?
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why not just take points on both sides all as a single plane?

            Cuz I aint as SMRT as you! Thanks! LOL.

            I know I can always count on this forum when I need an answer. Once again hats off to those with the knowledge who are willing to share it.

            Have a good weekend everyone.
            CMM Programmer
            Jackson Michigan
            Mistral 7.7.5
            4.3MR2

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sl33stak View Post
              Why not just take points on both sides all as a single plane?

              Cuz I aint as SMRT as you! Thanks! LOL.

              I know I can always count on this forum when I need an answer. Once again hats off to those with the knowledge who are willing to share it.

              Have a good weekend everyone.
              Take it easy, and if it is real easy, take it twice. I'm thinking of going to the Blues on the Square tonight. Stop by for a bit, listen to some tunes. Get all nice and 'happy' just to come back to work tomorrow. Or crap, well, that ruins the 'buzz'. Ah, I might go anyway.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

              Comment


              • #8
                Why not just take points on both sides all as a single plane?
                This will create a 'symmetry' or 'median' plane of the points from both sides?
                PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

                Comment


                • #9
                  The tolerance for the location is a cylinder. Each point of the measured cylinder's axis must be in the tolerance cylinder. If you create a plane on each face, you can dimension 3 points : intersection with two planes, and center of cylinder. Those 3 points are aligned, because you measure a cylinder. If you want to know the axis straightness, you will have to measure some circles, and dimension each center.

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X