Do you use cad for programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use cad for programming

Do you guys use cad models for programming? If so why (i.e. what is your application, is it a requirement etc). I think I have used cad twice for programming (once was in training so I doubt that counts) so I have no experience with it. I see a lot of guys here use it and I understand in some cases it is imparitive but how many of you out there are behind the experience curve like me and do all of your programming from 2D drawings? I saw a guy import a cad file and write the program for the part with the model one time and it was for a part that I wrote a program for from a 2D drawing. There were no profile/surface requirements (other than planes) so I was curious as to why he bothered. I had a program whiped out no problem without cad, but I supose it is what he is used to, not to mention it is good to have the experience for the times that you do need it.

I use 3D cad software (Inventor) for all of my gage/fixture design but quite frankly I'd be lost compared to some of you cad programming gurus programming with it.

Craig
    Yes
    80.00%
    No
    20.00%
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

I do not use CAD, mainly because we have Pro and don't have the capability. I used the CAD model in training, and it made some things so much easier. I'm guessing it can make other things more complicated, though. I would use CAD models if I could, mainly on 3-D parts. Otherwise, I do just fine with drawings.

Comment

I use CAD for almost every program. Our engineers almost always want something else checked that is not on the drawing. It is far easier to do this if you already have the CAD imported. Also we very rarely have dedicated fixtures and parts are at compound angles to car body. The customer and the engineers prefer everything reported in car body (especially any profile). Also almost all of our parts have the "CAD is master" note, so any discepancies to the drawing ( way too often for my taste) need the CAD.
      sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

Comment

CAD, what's that?

I use CAD when I can get, which is not very often. I can usually request and receive a CAD file if I really need it, but mostly I just use the 2D drawings. The bureacratic hassle and delay just isn't worth it. There have been a couple of jobs come through where I had to have the CAD. One case was the print was not at all clear. This was a complex "flapper" with lots of small area compound angle surfaces and multiple sphereical radii, one of which was primary datum/seal surface. Another time the job was SOOOOOO hot they got me the CAD so I could have the program done before the parts ever hit our dock. The final catagory was a couple of jobs we did for one customer that had no prints for the parts only CAD files. I usually program with a part on the table. Not learn mode really, after manual alignment I usually only touch the jog box for move points. I prefer this method, as it ensures there are no nasty surprises with fixture or part collisions. HTH.

Last edited by Wes Cisco; 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM.
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Probably about 95% of the time. I only do not use it if it is not available...
          Kev
          RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
          sigpic

Comment

I mainly use it to have programs written be fore the part is ready to minumize machine down time.

Comment

Thumbs up to CAD

I use CAD whenever possible. I will usually add target points for DATUMs and part print points in UniGraphics. Sometimes, if available from design or product groups, I will also add the targets for all development and/or 100% check requirements the same way. Saves a bunch of manual keystrokes.
              I work in a die build shop where we develop the final trims. This is usally done to CAD as the part print won't give finish numbers for the entire profile, just key points.
              sigpic:eek: Bring out the comfy chair!:eek:

Comment

I use it when I can get it. Programing is so much faster. No down time for cmm and the hits are taken in the right vector. Without cad you have to make sure the vector are right. With cad the nominals are right, without cad you have to key in the right nominals. I also like offline programming.
                Big Al ;) :p
                Global 5-7-5
                Windows XP
                Ver 4.2

Comment

Automotive stampings pretty much require CAD, that's what I work on, so I always (99.99%) have cad. Kind of hard to get XYZIJK off a print for 99.95% of the surfaces of auto-stampings. It's almost all curved.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I alway use Cad, Unless not available, It is more Accurate and makes programming much more easier and Specially if you need any Edit Later, You do it Pretty FAST & Quick, but without CAD, It is much more time taking and I do not like it.

Comment

I use Cad for every program. It is a great way to check programs when programming off-line. It's also great for features like auto planes and using anything in polar. We also add any thread plugs to our models when needed. Off-line to on-line transition seems to go much smoother with the CAD models.
                      sigpic

Comment

I use cad in order to align part to steel for most of our reverse engineering work. We specialize in reverse engineering work and engineering change work.
                        do more camping and hiking
                        v 4.1/ v3.7 mr3
                        DEA Beta w/tutor P controller

Comment

Ditto, on Matt.

Ialso feel that CAD is quicker, Click and go, no need to type in xyz's or figure out ijk's. Sometimes there is no choice. Perfer CAD
                          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

usying cad mathdata

I always use cad file it is a requirements, CAD IS MASTER , as someone said,, everything shuld be in car body position.

Comment

I do it either way, I usually get points and vectors from CAD anyway. My only issue is that I do not feel warm and fuzzy yet about picking the nominals correctly. There have been several times when I couldn't get the dang point nominal to come out right and had to go back fix it. Now I go thru and check to be sure.
                              BTW I think I found my avatar. I knew I'd have to get a blinky one sooner or later.
                              When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson

Comment