Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA)

In June of 2007 we purchased a new Brown & Sharpe Global 12.15.10 machine. As part of the deal we had Hexagon upgrade our LK CMM to PC-DMIS. Now that the year is up they are contacting us about renewing our Software Maintenance Agreement. For the two machines the cost is $4,258.00. I know the boss is going to be reluctant to spend that much money. My question to the board is, does you company invest the money for the Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA) or not?
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Marty Dobson
    Director of Quality
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mjdobson

PC-DMIS CAD V4.2 MR1 & V2011
    PH10MQ
    TP200

Originally posted by mdobb829 View Post
    In June of 2007 we purchased a new Brown & Sharpe Global 12.15.10 machine. As part of the deal we had Hexagon upgrade our LK CMM to PC-DMIS. Now that the year is up they are contacting us about renewing our Software Maintenance Agreement. For the two machines the cost is $4,258.00. I know the boss is going to be reluctant to spend that much money. My question to the board is, does you company invest the money for the Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA) or not?
    $4200? JUMP at that, that is like a 50% off for the second machine.

Yes, we pay (and pay and pay and pay).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes, we do.

The thing is, if you don't pay for a couple years but then decide you want it again, they'll charge you for those years you skipped. Around here, it's easier to pry loose $2500 every year than say $7500 in three years when we might decide we want an 'upgrade'.

Comment

Sometimes you can work out a deal if you purchase 3 years at a time. We paid for 4 seats 3 years in advance and saved somewhere around $7000.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes Put they think it is too much money and don’t like paying it.
          They also know if something goes wrong or if you have a problem I can call Customer support for help, of which I have used on many occasions.
          sigpichttp://npmichaels.com/ (My sons book)
          THANKS (CAD IS ALWAYS MASTER)
          4.3 & 4.2MR2/GLOBAL/PH10MQ/WINDOWS XP

Comment

Yeah, they pay the price for the CAD software SMA and the CAM software SMA but then have a fit over the CMM software SMA. Go figure!
            sigpic
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

BMT they let the SMA expire and then got socked BIGTIME for 3 years/4 CMMs and an offline seat. Now they pay every year.
              Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
              Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

I'll let you know in November, that's when our current one is up.

mike
                G&L 1808-M DCC MEA 4.3

Endeavor to Persevere

Comment

Since they got rid of most of annoying bugs, does any1 think maybe it's not worth to update the service?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY View Post
                    Since they got rid of most of annoying bugs, does any1 think maybe it's not worth to update the service?
                    Actually - yes.

But that's just my 2 SEK.
                    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

We keep ours up and Management even adds on every once in a while. This year they added the new AUTOPATH module and I told them we didn't have to have it, but it is a neat addition to the tools we have on PC-DMIS. Now I just wish they would add CAD ++ and a ofline seat.
                      DeWain Hodge

Comment

Originally posted by mdobb829 View Post
                        For the last 2 years we have had a global SMA (14 seats @ $1000 -$1400 per seat depending on modules) that cuts the cost by about half. Do you have any other sites that require SMA's that you could share costs with?
                        B & S XCEL 7-10-7
                        Sharpe32 Controller
                        PH10MQ & ACR1 Toolchanger
                        TP20 & TP2 Probes
                        Pcdmis CAD++ 3.7mr3, 4.3mr1, 2009mr1, 2010mr1
                        Datapage RT 3.33
                        sigpic

Comment

Tell them its just like a good CAD seat like UG or Catia, its not an option, its a must. It always reminds me of the Mafia when its time for them to collect, what other option do you have but to give it up? When they want they want and you will pay one way or the other.

http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirect...fia%20Boss.jpg
                          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                            Tell them its just like a good CAD seat like UG or Catia, its not an option, its a must. It always reminds me of the Mafia when its time for them to collect, what other option do you have but to give it up? When they want they want and you will pay one way or the other.
                            What part of UG makes it 'good'?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                              What part of UG makes it 'good'?

No part of UG makes it good. ** *** ** *** *** *** ** ** ***** ** ***** *** ***. . Lucky PcDmis has not used that tatic yet. The point I was trying to make and missed it I guess is that its not an option, its neccesary evil.
                              Last edited by Paul Sarrach; 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM.
                              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment