X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calypso

Any one using calypso software?

Comments?

Try the other web site your in the wrong place!!!
    sigpic
    3.7 MR4

Comment

Here is the site Kass is referencing.
      There are Calypso users there.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

I was sort of hoping for a pcdimis to calypso perspective, we're gonna buy it apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwildebeast View Post
          I was sort of hoping for a pcdimis to calypso perspective, we're gonna buy it apparently.
          Must be a Calypso salesman talked to someone there that knows nothing about CMM's or programming them. I feel sorry for you, I really do.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Can you elaborate ? what are the questions I should be asking ?

Comment

Can you elaborate ? what are the questions I should be asking ?
              Well, I have NOT used Calypso, so everything I say MUST be taken with a grain of salt, HOWEVER:

IF no one from the CMM department was asked about this purchase, it is BAD
              IF no one in the CMM Department has used this software, the purchase is BAD

IF you were not asked about it, but told, "We are thinking about getting this" or "We will be getting this" or anything else along those lines, then someone who signs the checks is getting ready to shove something VERY large and VERY painful up one of your orafices when you ain't looking, and you will NOT like it. Some saleman has convinced them that "This is easy" or "This is easier" or "This is better". However, the ONLY way you can tell if a salesman is lying is if his lips are moving, so......

That is what I meant when I said that I feel sorry for you. Some bean-counter that HAS NO IDEA what is going on is making a decision that he has NO RIGHT to be making. That would be like ME deciding on WHERE you should live and WHERE you shoudl work. Would it make any sense to you if I said you had to live in Florida and work in Texas and that you had to commute each day? Sort of the same thing, ya know.

I am not saying Calypso is bad, HOWEVER, I doubt that there are really ANY conversion packages for changing a Pcdmis program to Calypso, so you WILL be re-programming EVERYTHING. You will have to learn, FROM SCRATCH, an entirely new software package before you can do it. However, the salesman will tell the yutz who is signing the check that it "only take 10 minutes and you are checking parts". They ALL say that, they ALL lie. EVERYONE of them.

Tell this 'bean-counter' that I have a GREAT deal on some beach-front property, less than $500 an acre ($499.99) if purchased in lots of 25 acres or more.

Also tell him that he can expect at LEAST 3-4 months before you are even close to as efficient with something new as what you are using and if they have that much time and money to **** away in todays business market. Not to mention the money lost if you make some simple mistake because you have NO IDEA what the software does.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Well one of our guys has seen a demo at an exhibition, now he's on a week training course.

He is our most experienced inspector, with lots of pcd experience, so i guess he'll get the decsision on it.

I think from a management perspective, they think the pcdmis reporting is bad bad bad,
                .............which it is. The guy selling calypso clearly promised better reports.

Comment

The guy selling calypso clearly promised better reports.
                  LOL!! HA HA HA!!!!
                  RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                  sigpic

Comment

Could you be more definitive ?

give me a question to ask ?

Comment

Originally posted by kbotta View Post
                      LOL!! HA HA HA!!!!
                      http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums...re-Cowbell.jpg

I have seen some reporting from Calypso - mainly form and it was informative with graphics and the values in question. I have been searching for a Calypso -> PC-DMIS converter for some time now but that has resulted in no results, unfortunately.

I have also heard (hearsay) that Calypso (specific version perhaps) had lots of troubles calculating MMC and a hard time with 45° angles. Dunno what is true. I do know that if you are using a rotary table you *may* get problems.
                      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

I currently program with both PC-DMIS and Calypso.

Whoever told that Calypso causes problems with TP is somewhat correct. It can cause headaches if you don't understand the different methods the software uses. Once you learn how it works it's OK.

PCDMIS is a little more user friendly what it comes to setting up scans but if you are going to run a Vast XT or Vast XXT head the scanning capabilities and results with the Zeiss are better.

Duane
                        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Could you be more definitive ?

give me a question to ask ?
                          You can ask :
                          Can you read easily a text file ?
                          Can you write easily a text file ?
                          How works an alignment in a loop ?
                          Can you use easily assignments ?
                          Can you measure a feature without asking a dimension on it ?

There are some "bugs" on Calypso (on PC-DMIS to, I know !). If you use a lot of functions of PC-DMIS, you should cry after a exchange !

Comment

Here is a little example of why I like PCDMIS and now know I don't like Calypso.

I went to a customers plant a few months ago because they were getting results that were 0.025-0.040" different than what I was getting on the centerline of a machine to machine feature and we couldn't workout the problem over the phone. I'm running v4.1 and they are running the latest Calypso. I took a hard copy print out of my program to compare to their program. I got them to try re-writing as close to the way I have it written. We found our first big snag when we couldn't get Calypso to let them rotate to a cylinder and every thing went down hill from there. This may have been thier programers limited experience (abot 6 months) or my non-existing experience with Calypso. I don't know and don't care, but from that one look at programming in Calypso if switching ever comes up here at our plant it will be over my resignation.
                            DeWain Hodge

Comment

Calapso

I too, have not used Calapso, but I have seen it in action, more than once...as a matter of fact, a Zeiss developer who was in Michigan on business, paid to sit down with me. He wanted to get a good look at Pc-dmis and its capabilites from an expirenced users perspective. He then proceeded to show me Calapso.

It looked ok, some features were neat, but for the world that I normally program in (Sheet metal, plastic, ect) it looked very cumbersome, oh ya, it farted twice while looking at it . This was over 2 years agao, but still....

Reports, Pc-dmis is really only limited by your skill and imagination. I could type 1000 words or more as to how you can get reports to look just like some idiot in management ( Or customer) wants, but that seems pointless now. My hats off to the Zeiss sales guy, wrecking al you know and what you have to by a total different software. He should start selling deep freezers to Eskimos !!!
                              Jim Jewell

Comment