Implementing Inspect....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing Inspect....

For those who have implemented Inspect, I have a couple questions / concerns that maybe you can help me with:

- If I implement Inspect, is there a way to password protect all the settings? Or have a "Protected Mode" like PC-DMIS has? I don't want the standard operator being able to get into all the settings. I can't find anything in the software to do so.

- I have all my programs built into individual folders. So for instance, the main folder with all the programs is called CMM Programs, but within that folder, I have folders with the individual part numbers, and within those folders are the main programs, test programs, fixture information, etc. Is there a way to disable the "play" button on the folder, so the operators don't execute every program? I know there is a tree that comes up to uncheck or check the programs you want, but I want the least amount of operator input.

I think that is all for now. It seems like Inspect is a good interface, but not necessarily "locked down" as Protected Mode or Operator Mode is. It appears that it could cause some issues with my setup. If someone could maybe help educate me a little bit more on the software, that'd be great, but as of now, I don't think it is something that I will be using at all.

Originally posted by bfire85 View Post
    For those who have implemented Inspect, I have a couple questions / concerns that maybe you can help me with:

- If I implement Inspect, is there a way to password protect all the settings? Or have a "Protected Mode" like PC-DMIS has? I don't want the standard operator being able to get into all the settings. I can't find anything in the software to do so.

- Not really. The only thing you can really "prevent" is calibration, which you can stipulate to require administrator access to do.

- I have all my programs built into individual folders. So for instance, the main folder with all the programs is called CMM Programs, but within that folder, I have folders with the individual part numbers, and within those folders are the main programs, test programs, fixture information, etc. Is there a way to disable the "play" button on the folder, so the operators don't execute every program? I know there is a tree that comes up to uncheck or check the programs you want, but I want the least amount of operator input.

- short version, no. If you want the least amount of operator input, use the barcode system. Inspect has the ability to generate QR codes for individual routines which you can scan and automatically call up.

I think that is all for now. It seems like Inspect is a good interface, but not necessarily "locked down" as Protected Mode or Operator Mode is. It appears that it could cause some issues with my setup. If someone could maybe help educate me a little bit more on the software, that'd be great, but as of now, I don't think it is something that I will be using at all.
    See notes. ^^^
    Ex-Hex

Comment

Originally posted by anthony.alfaro View Post

See notes. ^^^
      Thanks for the info. For an operator interface, I am surprised it is not locked down more.

Comment

• anthony.alfaro
        anthony.alfaro commented
        Editing a comment
        well, you have to look at using the software as it was designed...

Yes, it's fairly commonplace to have the CMM programs organized as you do (i have mine the same way) but to utilize the full operator interface, it was geared more toward having a single folder with all programs in it which the user can select from...not navigating through trees.

further, it was even MORE designed to work with the smart factory plug-in.

The software as a whole went through multiple iterations even in my short time as an AE but ultimately, it's intent was to be used with Smart Factory.

• bfire85
        bfire85 commented
        Editing a comment
        anthony.alfaro OK. Thanks.

Originally posted by bfire85 View Post

It has an administrator mode and an operator mode. The administrator mode is where you set what the operators can do and the file paths to the programs that they need. They cannot deviate from the file path that you specify. The administrator mode can be password protected.

You will want to put all of the "current" programs in one single folder and make that the only folder accessible through INSPECT.

INSPECT connects to PC-DMIS and executes programs in the background. The operator never sees PC-DMIS or the program, it has a generic GUI that displays a "program completion percentage" while the program runs.

We've begun implementing it on two CMM's at one of our plants and the only issue that we've run into is how to recover if the machine crashes.
      Kevin

Comment

I would think you'd be able to keep your existing file structure, if the folder used for Inspect contains shortcuts to each of the programs...

Comment