Hexagon training that teaches how to program?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexagon training that teaches how to program?

What level training would I need to take to learn how to do some serious programming?

My job is talking about sending me to Level Two: what could I expect to learn from it? Is it a continuation from Level One or will there be programming, codes, etc.?

Sounds like you haven't had any training. I would start at level one and go from there. If you have had training, then look into getting higher level programming training through Hexagon. Most of what you wanting to learn, you will learn through trial and error. That's how I learned and I asked a lot of questions. Still do!
    Darroll

Comment

Hex won't allow you to go to level 2 if you havent't completed level 1.

Level 1 is essential stuff. It teaches you the basic building blocks of pc dmis. If you don't get these fundamentals down pat then you shouldn't waste your time trying to learn anything advanced.
      Last edited by DAN_M; 11-16-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by "serious programming"? I'm always serious when programming. Lol

Comment

• Darrollh
          Darrollh commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't get serious until I had my coffee. I get really serious at 4pm!!!!

If you want training to learn to program, Hexagon is not the place to get it. Your Hex schools basically teach here is where this function is in our software. Solid serious programming will come from one of two places and those are (1) the school of hard knocks and (2) someone that has a bunch of experience and can take the time to train you. I was fortunate to have a mentor back in the day. Someone that spent time with me and literally taught me how to measure. If you don't have measurement concepts (metrology) down, then knowing where any function is in the software is pretty much a waste of time.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking the Hex Schools, I've been to every one of them that I was able to go to over the years. I'm just saying that those schools don't teach metrology, they teach PcDmis and those are two completely different things.
        You can never tell exactly how deep a mud puddle is without getting your feet wet -- Dennis the Menice

Comment

• Darrollh
          Darrollh commented
          Editing a comment
          I couldn't agree with you more!!!! I think I wrote a response on LinkedIn about the same thing. Basically, you have guys and gals sitting behind the jog box and not know metrology. I've met one that couldn't read calipers.

To Bob_Loblaw, good luck with the training. However, like Milicron Mike wrote, you have to know metrology or you will be lost.

I was asked a few times, "What type of person would be a good fit for quality?" My answer was, someone that had been a machinist!

Originally posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
        What level training would I need to take to learn how to do some serious programming?

My job is talking about sending me to Level Two: what could I expect to learn from it? Is it a continuation from Level One or will there be programming, codes, etc.?
        None. My advice, get a third party vendor to come on-site. you will get the best results!
        B&S One
        PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

• EmilySue
          EmilySue commented
          Editing a comment
          The only training I've had has been 8 hours of group at our facility, and 8 hours of one on one time, also at our facility.

IF your bosses have specific goals for you, I feel like this is definitely the way to go. I'm picking up the stuff I would have learned in a HEX class as I go and will need to fill in gaps, for sure. But I'm also getting some very basic programs written to check the features and parts that my bosses want checked. They are pretty clear about what my initial goals should be, which was my only saving grace whilst jumping into this ocean!

Our level 1 course is designed to teach the basics and fundamentals of PC-DMIS. Most of the comments are correct in that we don't teach metrology and measurement methods more so we teach how to do things inside of PC-DMIS. Our courses are also written around our Hex Block training in which we teach you the concepts of measurement that you should then be able to translate into measuring your part.

our level two course is a building block on top of that where we teach "advanced" alignments (best-fit and iterative), scanning, and some very simple flow control with an introduction to logic.

Our level 3 course is where we start introducing real logic, arrays, external commands, File I/O, etc.

we don't recommend taking level 3 until you've had significant experience in PC-DMIS.

If you are interested in these you can contact your local service center and schedule a training. We offer training courses in our facilities and we can also come to your site to teach our courses.

we also offer custom training. If you have something very particular in mind that you would like to learn we can work with you to provide that too.
        Anthony Alfaro
        Applications Enginner
        Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence
        Originally posted by BWIZZLE
        You cannot idiot proof everything, BUT you can make better idiots....LOL

Comment

+1 to needing to understand metrology. Also GD&T.

http://www.npl.co.uk/publications/guides/

NPL guides are free to download, (after a free registration) and hold a wealth of great information, although they are a tad dry in places. I most highly recommend CMM Measurement Strategies.

HTH

Happy Friday!

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I remember going to Hexagon Class on DataPage 101. The instructor showed me how to set it up with External Command. Cool, cool. When I asked how to use the STATS Command, He said I'm not sure, I've never use that before. Ummm....... ok. He also mention this was the first time he ever taught a class. Thanks to @ Peter Puller, sorry Peter Fuller as of recent. I finally know how to do STATS Command. So be careful, know your instructor, or you might only get half the info you need.
            (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
            They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• bfire85
              bfire85 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is unfortunate. Our companies spend a lot of money with Hexagon. You would think that they would have instructors that are well versed in the classes that they are teaching. But then again, you could have been hung over or low on coffee and only heard half of the class. Probably the latter.

• KIRBSTER269
              KIRBSTER269 commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish I was drunk or hung over, probably could have gotten through the class a little easier. bfire85

• Numbers Game
              Numbers Game commented
              Editing a comment
              I got the same response a few times at level one training. After spending a bit of time self-learning, I went there armed with a bunch of questions. There were at least a few that the instructor couldn't answer because he doesn't use those features, and a few more where he had to ask somebody else. In fact there were a couple of instances where I showed him (and the rest of the class) things that I had just recently figured out myself.

Don’t you hate when you imagine renting a Maserati, and end up with a Yugo?

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

• Darrollh
              Darrollh commented
              Editing a comment
              Or a Pinto! Lmao!

• sealevel
              sealevel commented
              Editing a comment
              I certainly do hate when that happens, dph51.......it's called sitting in a PC-DMIS Vision offline seat. And with Vision...just like the Pinto, you'll get hit in the rear and go up in flames:::::::::::::

• Kp61dude!
              Kp61dude! commented
              Editing a comment
              HEY! I love Yugos.

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
            Hex won't allow you to go to level 2 if you havent't completed level 1.

Level 1 is essential stuff. It teaches you the basic building blocks of pc dmis. If you don't get these fundamentals down pat then you shouldn't waste your time trying to learn anything advanced.
            That is false. I took level two without ever taking level one. There was a quick test I took to “gage” if I could jump straight to level 2. I had a little over a year under my belt when I went straight to two. It’s still the only class I have taken for CMM.

Comment

• Darrollh
              Darrollh commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking at the coursework and looking at a co-workers notes, it doesn't teach a whole lot. I think that level one is for some one who never seen a cmm. I haven't had any of the classes. I had to learn the old fashioned way.

• DAN_M
              DAN_M commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, when I first inquired about training, Hexagon told me that I had to take 1 before I could take 2. So, no, its not false, I clearly was screwed lol or we just had a different experience

• anthony.alfaro
              anthony.alfaro commented
              Editing a comment
              it depends on the coordinator. I don't know there is any hard-fast rule that you cannot take one without the other. I've had plenty of level 2 students who never took level 1 and where highly successful. It's certainly not RECOMMENDED but if you have enough experience to make up for level 1 then it shouldn't be any big deal.
          Working...
          X