Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between form and form & location in profile measuring

Hi all,

I want to know the difference between form and form & location in profile measuring.

how the results will be in legacy and xact measuring

Comment

Form "floats" the shape within the tolerance zone, form and location fixes the shape to the tolerance zone defined by the basics.

Comment

Form only does not require the profile to be in a specific zone. It can float anywhere. This is why you see no datums next to the FCF. Its in tolerance if the profile is in spec to itself.

Form and location takes in consideration the datums that are on your FCF. Some prints have the basic dimensions from your datums that this profile MUST locate from.

If your profile callout has datums, you must use form and location.

Comment

What is Form with No Fit?
          PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
          Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

• VinniUSMC
            VinniUSMC commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, form with fit allows for the points to be best fit to the surface in question, so No Fit, is just testing the form without allowing for a secondary fit algorithm.

Although, that probably makes it alignment dependent, but I'm not 100% sure there. Check what the help file says, it might not literally mean what it says.

• DJAMS
            DJAMS commented
            Editing a comment
            As Vinni says, reading the help file is probably best. But I can tell you that in legacy profile - form only, no fit will give you the orientation error of a plane relative to the active alignment. So the "form only" terminology probably isn't the best.

I use this when I've got a composite profile tolerance in which all datums repeat in the lower tier. For example.

It would be like me buying skinny jeans.

The form might match, but they ain't gonna fit.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
            It would be like me buying skinny jeans.

The form might match, but they ain't gonna fit.
            In other words... use Form and location when profile is tied to Datums and not Form only, No fit?
            PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
            Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

• VinniUSMC
              VinniUSMC commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't put too much weight on my thoughts regarding No Fit. I've never used it, attempted to use it, or looked it up. I was just applying basic reasoning using context to divine a possible meaning for it.

• Kp61dude!
              Kp61dude! commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope too late Vinni! It is written to my mechanical like hard drive of mind and deleting might cause issues in the future so I'm keeping it there.

• VinniUSMC
              VinniUSMC commented
              Editing a comment
              Where did I put that admin password? It's time to re-format Kp, again.

Thanks peoples

Comment

Simply stated, a surface profile CF with a datum modifier would indicate they want
              the form & location relative to the specified datum, and there should be a basic
              dimension involved. Without the datum modifier, all they want is form by itself.

Comment

Working...
              X