Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside groove diameter measuring skill

Hi Guru,

Any suggestion on how to measure inside groove diameter accurately with CMM?

I have a 90 degree knuckle to build a probe which can be used to measure it but i haven't never use it before. How to build the probe and calibrate it? Can we use the same calibration tool to calibrate it?

BTW, I haven't tried to use star probe yet. Any suggestion on how to use and calibrate it? Thanks

Have you done a search for this info? There's a lot to be found.
    sigpic
    I am fluent in three languages:
    English, Sarcasm & Profanity.

Comment

The easiest way is to use a disc, which can then be used to measure a groove at any given probe head angle, it's relatively simple to calibrate and easy to program. With a star probe you have to tell the CMM which tip (modal) you are using to make contact with.

I have rotated the probe head in the B axis with A fixed in two situations:
      i) With one stem of a star probe assembled, where the bore diamter is too small for a full star probe assembly to fit, where A was fixed at zero.
      ii) Where the bore diameter was large 6" and deep 7" and the probe head/column would have interfered with the top face, where A was fixed at 30 or thereabouts using an 80mm long ball stylus.

What is the dia of bore, groove depth (radially) groove width, depth of groove, form of groove (sq/rad) as these determine what methods/tools you can actually use.
      Mnfctr: Hexagon,
      Model: Global B Perf,
      Hardware: Control FBII,
      Software: PcDmis CAD 2010MR3
      PH10MQ, TP20, Leitz equipped

Comment

[QUOTE=johnP;334666]Have you done a search for this info? There's a lot to be found.[/QUOTE/]

Any suggestion for getting a better search on this topic? Thanks,

Comment

[QUOTE=homer.tan;334709]
          Originally posted by johnP View Post
          Have you done a search for this info? There's a lot to be found.[/QUOTE/]

Any suggestion for getting a better search on this topic? Thanks,
          https://www.google.com/search?num=10...roove+diameter
          One screenshot is worth a thousand Need more info
          Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexA View Post
            The easiest way is to use a disc, which can then be used to measure a groove at any given probe head angle, it's relatively simple to calibrate and easy to program. With a star probe you have to tell the CMM which tip (modal) you are using to make contact with.

I have rotated the probe head in the B axis with A fixed in two situations:
            i) With one stem of a star probe assembled, where the bore diamter is too small for a full star probe assembly to fit, where A was fixed at zero.
            ii) Where the bore diameter was large 6" and deep 7" and the probe head/column would have interfered with the top face, where A was fixed at 30 or thereabouts using an 80mm long ball stylus.

What is the dia of bore, groove depth (radially) groove width, depth of groove, form of groove (sq/rad) as these determine what methods/tools you can actually use.
            Thank you, Alex,

The groove is a cylinder inside a tube. The groove diameter is .912+0.002/-0.000, its outside cylinder(within the tube,I.D) diameter is 0.765+/-0.002;another groove is 1.037+0.002/-0.000, its outside cylinder(inside the tube,I.D) diameter is 0.906+/-0.002. the tube cylinder O.D is 3.210+-0.005.

Groove width is about .140+/-0.02

Please feel free to raise up your concerns and I'll try my best to answer your question,

Thanks,

Comment

You didn't say what the groove position is in the tube but I'd suggest this off the shelf stylus. Renishaw A-5000-3615 - 12.7dia 2.2mm thick, here's the probe file data for it that I recently created. The stylus is quite heavy so isn't suited for large extensions in the horizontal position but hopefully it may suit for you.

ITEM:TIP12.7BY2.2MMDISK M3
              comment A-5000-3615
              begintip
              ribcount 10
              color 142 142 142
              cylinder 0 0 0 0 0 -4 4
              cone 0 0 -4 4 0 0 -7 3.5
              cylinder 0 0 -7 0 0 -28.5 3.5
              cylinder 0 0 -28.5 0 0 -30 6
              cylinder 0 0 -30 0 0 -32 12.7
              hotspot 0 0 -31 0 0 1 12.7 2.2 disk
              endtip